Sunday, August 02, 2015

ITZHAK PERLMAN at Wolf Trap, Va. 1987

To say that I was thrilled to hear Itzhak Pearlman in person is a vast understatement. His performance was the culmination of a wonderful two days that my husband and I spent at Wolf Trap, the National Park for the Performing Arts in Vienna, Virginia in 1987.

I had saved for a long time to make this trip possible and the 8th row, center seats in the orchestra were our reward. The excitement was palpable when the lights dimmed and Itzhak Pearlman made his entrance. Although Polio has greatly diminished his ability to walk and he gets by with the aid of short metal crutches attached to his arms, he exuded such charm and joy that the audience was hardly aware of his infirmities.

Once he was seated and the performance began I realized that I was truly in the presence of a superstar. It was not just his superb violin playing … it was also his irrepressible joy of making music. That transferred to the audience and, although his technique was flawless, he made it seem easy.


I will always remember that evening with Itzhak Pearlman, a man with incredible talent and warmth for his audience.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a good memory. While I am more into fiddling, I'm sure that this was special.

5:35 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

He was here in Brevard last year for our Music Festival. What a talented man. In 2011 we had Yo Yo Ma. Wouldn't it be great to hear those two play the violin and cello together?

10:49 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

To hear such talent first hand!....:)

8:42 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Oh ENVY, ENVY!
I love to hear him!
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIB03fS179s and there are dozens of additional links on the side.
Of course, nothing can compare to sitting in the 8th row seeing him LIVE!

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home