Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Facing a brave new world ...computer illiteracy !

 
Put a skirt on this guy and it could be me trying to figure out my new computer !!!

The PC that I have been using since 2007 was close to crashing and I saw that Best Buy was having a "Black Friday" sale so I decided to take advantage of that. For a little over $300 I was able to get one and the next step was to bring it home and just get started ...HAH ...easier said than done.

My first clue should have been when it took forever to have all the apps put on the screen. If my son Mark had not alerted me to that I would have given up then and there. As it was I was able to click on the thingy that got me to a picture I'd saved of my son Matt's back lawn and I hastily sent it to my desktop. It was, and is, very soothing to see it there.

But where in the heck was the nice menu that I've used for years ...you know, the one that pops up on the bottom left of the computer that makes it easy to get to my emails and the very important Microsoft free Games !! Once again my oldest son came to my rescue and had me right click on the little icon with 4 boxes . OK...similar but no games etc., etc.

It is just Day two as I write this and you can tell how frustrated I am. I figure it's time to get some Geek training at Best Buy and I hope to do that this week. As my daughter Jody's husband says "It's like eating an elephant ... you do it one bite at a time". (or should that be spelled byte ?)

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's a hassle. Persevere.

4:51 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I'm going to get a new computer as well. After so many years of using a PC with Windows or Vista, I'm getting an Apple so it will indeed be quite a learning curve for me. Guess that's why I keep putting it off.

8:20 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

I am not sure that I would even attempt to do this! I am certain I could not even hook up all the plug-ins etc. You are a brave woman.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

Hey Ginnie, I thought I left a comment yesterday, but I do not see it. I'll try again.
GENE

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there ! Done that ! and now I'm being offered Windows 10 for free. Dare I click on it ?

4:32 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Trying again to leave a comment, Gene.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Training helps, but trial and error win the day!

9:12 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Sounds like my post when I got my new laptop. It had Windows 8. I took the damned thing down to Marvin (computer geek person) and told him to get rid of it. He put Windows 7 on it for me.
Now it seems like a lot of people have done the same thing - so many in fact that Windows, at least for a while, was giving folks a 7 or 8 option on new computers... or a modified 8 that looked more like 7.
Like you, I could not figure the thing out. Had NO idea how to shut it down... that was hidden somewhere. And who wants all those big windows of things I wanted no part of on the screen? As it is, I have some great screensavers and a gazillion icon shortcuts. One is even for your blog!
Have fun learning new tricks!!!!! Then maybe you can teach me!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home