Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Two Curious Incidents …

Here’s my beautiful granddaughter Faye. I’ve introduced you to her before and you might remember that she is a little girl with a lot on her shoulders. She is a diabetic (with an insulin pump that she’s learned to control on her own) and also is diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. The reason I tell you this is because it plays into what I am relating here.

Faye just turned 13 recently and her Dad and I and three other grownups took her out to dinner as a birthday treat. At one point we were all discussing the books that we were currently reading and Faye held up her hand to get out attention. “Let me tell you about my favorite book”, she said …

“I loved the book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time because I could really relate to it. It’s about an autistic boy, Christopher, who goes way out of his comfort zone to try to find the person who killed a neighbors dog. I didn’t just kind-of relate to him. I actually felt like I WAS him ! If you want to understand me read the book.”

I think we were all a bit overwhelmed. This was not Faye simply telling us of her love for the book. She was offering us a look into the world as she knows it and asking us to share it with her. It was a powerful moment.

And now to the 2nd “Curious Incident.” I had no idea that the book had been made into a play so imagine my surprise when I watched the Tony Awards and saw that it is not only a successful off-Broadway production but that The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time won for best play of 2015. I guess Faye wasn’t the only one who loved this book !
 

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We always read such interesting tidbits here. All the best to her.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered about this book. Thanks for your post about it and your granddaughter.

1:43 PM  
Blogger possum said...

You must have mentioned this to me before... because I ordered the book from amazon and have it here. Just need to finish what I am reading to get to it.
Perhaps you mentioned it because you know about the boys who are actually Anna's grands, but the older one, Caleb, thinks I am his grandma because I have always been able to relate (sort of) to him. Children frighten Anna... on some level. No connection. Both boys are autistic, Caleb being Asperger's.
So I read whatever I can that might help me relate to what is going on inside his head a bit. I have learned more about dinosaurs and sharks than I ever wanted to know, but he explains things to me at the Aquarium.
Caleb has gotten into archery! He does well. His team made it thru State, then Nationals, and is going on to World in July. Fortunately, World Tournament is being held in Nashville this year.

This is a great post. Fay looks like a great kid. You are lucky to have each other!

3:59 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

How wonderful that your granddaughter was able to express herself so well. I've heard of the book and play and I think I'll read it now.

6:58 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

As soon as you mentioned the book--I thought: it's on Broadway as an award winning play, including the lead actor portraying the character with Aspergers.
Wonderful that your granddaughter related AND that she is in a loving supportive family that makes her comfortable to share reading and her experiences.

7:15 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Finished the book last night. Had a rough night trying to sleep - not just the fault of the book tho - I had 2 Board meetings last night, one right after the other, and I think my brain hit over-load. Christopher mentions feeling that way in the book... but, of course, we all relate to that experience in different ways.

The book helped me understand some of Caleb's mort irritating traits... the one that makes me most uncomfortable is that he stands in each room, slowly turning to imprint everything in his brain. He asks what things are, why I have them, what they are "good" for... then he moves on to the next room. He wants to pick everything up and examine it... Briar, on the other hand wants to open drawers, dump them, or cupboards, go into the bedrooms, etc. We have had to get locks for the cabinets in the bathroom because he pulls EVERYTHING out much like a 2 year old would, and then take everything apart, or open it, often spilling toilet cleaners, kitty litter, or breaking things because he tried to take the lid off the toilet.

My cat who normally loves everyone is terrified of them and hides under the bed... so they try to get into the bedrooms after him.

Hopefully this book will help me have more patience and tolerance. I have always found ways to engage Caleb... but not Briar.

A side note - I do love to hug kids... but it doesn't work with them. So I used to sit on the floor with Caleb and after a while HE would climb on ME. He would rearrange my arms and call me a people-tree. So I got my hugs of a different type! Everyone was shocked when he curled up in my lap (branches) and fell asleep when he was real little.

Such a different world. So glad you told me about this book. Trying to get Anna to read it.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home