Saturday, June 06, 2015

"That" CLUB …

Every once in awhile I will read something with a lightly veiled reference to Alcoholics Anonymous. The author will be writing his or her history of social drinking and wondering if it has become more than that and then concludes the internal debate with a sentence such as “thank goodness I don’t have to join that club.” That not-so-subtle put down of Alcoholics Anonymous never fails to amuse me.

 
I look back on my 25+ years of being a member of “that” club and I marvel at the transformation that has taken place in my life … so much of it as a direct result of my association with AA.

I have to admit that I felt the same way when I was first introduced to AA. I had many reservations and, even as I attended the meetings, I would wonder how this strange assortment of human beings could possibly change my life for the better. As it says in our literature “We are people who normally would not mix.” How true that is and I wouldn’t change it if I could.

If any of you out there think you may have a drinking problem please give AA a try. Just open your mind and sit back. As Herbert Spencer said it so well:
“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is: CONTEMPT PRIOR TO INVESTIGATION.”
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Thank you, Ginnie. You are an inspiration. I know that my life has changed for the better because of being in Al-Anon and because my wife is in AA I don't think we would still be together if we had not found these programs of recovery.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are a success story.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good advice for anyone who may have a problem and is trying to decide on what path to follow. Kudos to you, Ginnie, on your continued success.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll vouch for that. With alcohol issues rampant in my family, I'm happy to see so many members getting sobriety, including Daughter (33 years), husband (34 years), nephews and granddaughter. Its a great fellowship. And Al-Anon is perfect for those who live with and/or love someone with a drinking problem.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home