Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Famous baby born at Lennox Hill Hospital, NY City, Sept. 2014


Miracle baby born at Lennox Hill Hosp., NY City, Oct. 3, 1961



Here is our wee daughter JoAnna who almost didn’t make it … along with her mother (me!). Hers was a placenta-previa birth where the placenta is “born” before the baby and it leaves the unborn baby with nothing to feed on. In 1961 it was almost always fatal unless you were in the hospital, which, luckily, was the case with me …having been admitted a day before because I had started bleeding. Our baby wasn’t due for another month but the doctor had me admitted for observation.

I was thinking he was being overly cautious until I started to hemorrhage and my husband frantically yelled for the nurses. Everything happened so fast then that it becomes a blur in my mind, but I do remember my husband saying “keep your chin up” and then promptly passing out. For a minute the crew didn’t know if they should take care of Dick or me...but they left him there on the floor and proceeded to rush me to the operating room where they performed a caesarian.

And that’s how our little Jody was born. She weighed less than 5 lbs. and had to stay in the hospital for 10 days, but she and I were lucky to be alive and I’m happy to say that her daddy survived and was able to snap this picture of a happy mother and daughter a few months later.

…and where is our daughter right now? In France with her husband celebrating 25 years of marriage and her 53rd birthday !

8 Comments:

Blogger Regenia said...

I volunteer in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of our regional hospital. We now have babies survive that weigh less than 2 pounds. It is absolutely incredible what can now be done to try and save babies' lives. She was certainly a beautiful baby!

5:02 AM  
Blogger possum said...

How lucky you were to be in the right place for a difficult birth. And how blessed you have been to have your children.
I have often wondered how many husbands faint in the deliver rooms. Probably a pretty high percentage!

6:26 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Wonderful story with a happy ending. Congratulations to the miracle baby.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter. You were both blessed that day being in a hospital with excellent care. Smart doctor.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice you have this old photo. I tried to enlarge it so I coul see it...no luck. How fortunate you were in the hospital when she was born.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How firtunate for both yiu and yiur daughter, Ginnie. Her birth will always be a memorable day and belated birthday wishes to Jody.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Wonderful, Ginnie. I am glad that she and you made it through. I was a C section baby too.

5:38 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

What a lovely family photo. You were lucky to have been in the hospital when you started bleeding.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home