Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Doctor “M” … continued

In my last entry you met Dr. M. He is the ER doc that I worked with for many years. I showed you the nice and caring side of him and now I’d like to pay tribute to his expertise.

I have a dear friend who I will call Alice. She is in her early 50’s and exudes good health. She is very petite, does not drink or smoke and is very careful to stay away from fast foods and sweets. In other words Alice is the last person that you would peg as having a serious health problem.

Recently Alice went to her Dr. complaining of a lingering sore throat and a cold. He must have been concerned with her breathing because he didn’t think that her primary problem was a cold and he ordered an EKG, a chest xray and some blood work. Her EKG was a little “off” so he sent her on to the ER for additional tests and this is where we meet Dr. M. again.

He has over 31 years as an ER doctor and his instincts are finely honed. When all the additional tests on Alice came back negative he still felt something was not right and he ordered another EKG and compared it to one that she had 3 years ago. “Oh, no” he told Alice “this is not right. I’m going to admit you to observation with a cardiac consult” …and with that decision he almost certainly saved her life.

My friend Alice had severe heart blockages and the cardiologist was able to insert three stents …small mesh tubes that restore blood flow through blocked arteries. “You were a ticking time bomb” the cardio doc told her “Thank goodness that Dr. M. used caution as well as expertise.”

So now you see why I sing his praises. Thanks Moose !

 

 

7 Comments:

Blogger possum said...

How lucky she was to have had him as her Dr.!

4:27 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Thumbs up for Dr M

4:36 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a very caring and compassionate doctor and yiur friend, Alice, was as fortunate as you to have him caring for her.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

We need so many more just like him. Kudos.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so fortunate to have good doctors. I sometimes become annoyed with my GP and call him an old hen, but he perseveres until he discovers what's happening. Good for you doc finding the blockage. In your friend's heart.

9:33 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I hope I encounter Moose when I need him!!

Ginnie, I went to verizon and told my troubles; we called customer service and they are only able to block 5 numbers at a time, but once those are blocked - we can block more at a later date. The guy is still calling, but not as frequently as he was. We just don't answer it, if the caller id isn't a number we recognize.

1:20 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Great and well deserved tribute Ginnie.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home