Friday, April 18, 2014

A KINDNESS REMEMBERED…

 
This is a picture of one of the ER docs that I used to work with. I retired in 2001 after working with him for more than 15 years. “Moose” (as we irreverently and affectionately called him) was/is a good Dr. and he really keeps the ER moving.
In September of 1990 my husband of 32 years passed away. I dreaded going back to work but was glad to see that Dr. M. was on duty the day that I returned. It was one of the longest days of my life but I found comfort in the hustle and bustle of things that I was used to doing. If I concentrated on each task as it came up I found that I could get through without crying; but, it was very taxing and I was exhausted when my shift finally ended.
It was a very strange feeling to approach my empty house and tears were streaming down my face as I unlocked the door. Giving in to my exhaustion I headed for the bedroom and that’s when I noticed that the light was blinking on my answering machine. I was so tired I almost didn’t listen to it but I did ... and here’s what it said:
“Hi, Ginnie, this is Moose. I knew you’d be walking into an empty house and just wanted you to know that you’re not alone. We love you and are here for you. See you in the morning.”
I have never forgotten how much that simple message meant to me.
(I wrote and posted this in 2009 but I repeat it here because I wanted you to “meet” Dr. M. Now, almost 24 years later, I once again have good reason to pay tribute to him …and I do so in my next blog entry … Stay tuned !)



8 Comments:

Blogger possum said...

Wow. How beautiful. What a kind gesture.
Yes, many of us found the act of going home was harder than going back to work. I think your hospital must have been a great place to work!

4:08 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't remember this one, but then again, I barely remember where my computer is. He seems like a good fellow, and I will be glad to read more.

5:48 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

It takes a special man to know he ought to do that for you. I am interested to know what more he has done.

5:58 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a wonderful thing to do. He must be a great man.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

What a kind and good fellow. Glad that he left that message for you. I know that must have been the saddest time in your life.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your next post.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Friends like Moose are bery special people to have in pur lives.

8:59 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Now that I have read both parts of the Dr. M story--I will comment.
A good doctor is hard to find!

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home