Saturday, January 11, 2014

“The Housemaid’s Daughter” …

What a delight it is to find a new author with such talent. Barbara Mutch is that person and she certainly knows her subject. She was born in South Africa, the granddaughter of Irish immigrants and her thought provoking novel brings that country into stark focus.

It is the story of Cathleen who has traveled from Ireland to South Africa in 1919 to marry Edward. She is the mistress of Cradock House and becomes very fond of her black housemaid; but, it is the housemaid’s daughter Ada, born after she arrives, who truly reaches her heart. The book is narrated by Ada and it is from her vantage that we follow the twists and turns of her life and how it intertwines with Cathleen.

“The Housemaid’s Daughter” is a sweeping novel that encompasses a span of years from the 1930’s to the rise of Mandela and beyond. I thoroughly enjoyed it and wrote to Barbara Mutch to let her know that. I was so pleased to receive this answer from her …

Dear Ginnie    Thank you for your kind words about my novel. I am so delighted that you enjoyed it! It took me many years to write, but all that midnight oil is worthwhile when I get wonderful feedback such as yours. I always hoped that the book would strike a chord with US readers, many of whom would identify with the challenges facing Ada and Cath...
Please spread the word about the Housemaid's Daughter to your friends and family! And I wish you a happy and healthy 2014, and many more years of joyful reading.

Kind regards      Barbara Mutch   http://www.barbaramutch.com/

Thank you, Barbara, and it’s a pleasure to “spread the word to friends and family” and beyond !
 

6 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

So glad that she wrote you back. You are quite awesome in your correspondence.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful endorsement and response from the author!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This is a nice practice that you have of emailing the author and even better when you get a reply. I have recently read three detective type of novels set in South Africa of the 50s. Mind you, the author's name escapes me at the moment.

7:30 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks, I'll check this one out. I'm always on the lookout for a good novel.

6:42 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Very cool--I am always impressed when an author takes the time to respond to a compliment from a reader.
I plan to check out her book--the South Africa connection resonates with me.
Happy New Year.

7:47 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I will have to check it out.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home