Tuesday, November 19, 2013

“THE BOOK THIEF”… a favorite read & now a movie !

In 2006 this is part of what I wrote about “The Book Thief” and it’s amazing young Australian author Markus Zusak…

“This is one of those wonderful books that I couldn’t bear to put down. I’m sure I must have done the usual house-keeping things in between chapters but I don’t remember doing them.”

Now it is 7 years later and on the CBS newscast this morning I learned that the book has been made into a movie.           They interviewed the main actor Geoffrey Rush and it was interesting but I was
annoyed that they never once mentioned the author nor gave him credit.

I feel a closeness to Markus Zusak and here’s why… in 2006 I wrote to him and told him how much I’d enjoyed his book. I didn’t expect a reply so was very pleased to receive the following email:

Dear Virginia,
Thank you so much for your kind message about The Book Thief and I am the Messenger. I just received it through my publisher and I am very grateful. The Book Thief, especially, means everything to me, and the fact that my writing has also meant something to you is something that can never be taken for granted. You write and think no-one will read it, let alone be compelled to write to you about it.
Thank you again. You’ve made my day!
All my best, Markus


Isn’t that a lovely note? I see via the internet that he has come a long way since 2006. His Bio says that he’s married and has two children and he appears to be very open to his fans, even encouraging them to get to know him by giving them his mailing address as well as being on Facebook and Twitter.

I love these two pictures that I “lifted” from his Facebook. I think that Australia must be very proud to call him one of their own.




 

 
 

9 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I came "this close" to buying his book but decided to wait for the movie since there aren't all that many good movies out there. That was a wonderful note you received from him. Obviously a special fellow.

3:55 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

I loved/love that book as well. In fact, I should go on a book hunt here at home and see if I can find it. It may well be under the bed! I need more bookcases.
Thanks dear Ginnie for the reminder.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The movie was panned in the Washington Post. Apparently, the critic did not think it was faithful to the book. Dianne

8:26 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think I sort of remember this post, but I think you have also written about replies by other authors, so I may be wrong.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How nice that Markus sent a personal note, not many authors would have done so.

5:04 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

My goodness. Somehow I missed this wonderful sounding book. It'll be downloaded on my Nook tomorrow and Mrs T.& I will be seeing the movie soon, which the New York Times gave a very favorable review....

7:39 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Another fabulous story making me smile Ginnie xxoo

7:38 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Nice that he wrote back. And such a great note. I will have to read the book.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I thought you might enjoy listening to the lovely child French Canadian actor who was in The Book Thief movie, Sophie Nélisse. She was interviewed on one of my favourite radio shows, C'est La Vie, a show that explains to English Canada things of importance in French Canada. http://www.cbc.ca/cestlavie/ You can listen to the program here.

As a bonus you will also hear about the wonderful child's book, Jane, le Renard et Moi. It is a graphic novel about a young girl picked on who found comfort in the book Jane Eyre.

Sophie for all her young years has had great success in acting. She was also in Monsieur Lazhar a movie up for consideration as the best foreign language film at a recent Oscars.

It is interesting to hear Sophie's understanding of the book and movie. She gave up a promising career as a potential Olympic gymnast to play the part.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home