Monday, November 04, 2013

Lisa in China …(continued)

Let me tell you more about my friend Lisa. She and her husband are spending a year in Pinghu, China (pictured here), a city of approx. 500,000.

This area has not experienced a western invasion as have Shanghai and Beijing so they find themselves being stared at quite a bit, but for the most part the people are very friendly.

Lisa’s husband was hired to teach 28 10th graders and the first weekend that they were there some of the students took them on a tour of the city. They were taken to an old Chinese mansion built in the 1800’s and to a Buddhist temple constructed in the 1500’s. The culture and traditions of China were explained to them as they toured and they ended the day with a traditional hotpot meal. A boiling pot of broth was brought to the center of the table along with a selection of vegetables, meat, dumplings, etc. that the students had selected.

Lisa, unlike her husband, did not have a job waiting for her when they came to China but she was hoping to find work. Luckily for her this soon came to pass & she now teaches 2 sections of English as a Second Language (ESL).

Her students have a tough schedule consisting of 5 classes in Chinese and 5 in English, which includes ESL, Chemistry, Algebra II, World History and Reading /Writing. After 3 years they will have completed both the Chinese and American High School curriculums.

As I mentioned, Lisa and her husband are quite the novelty in Pinghu and one day while waiting to cross a busy street a Chinese man on a scooter stopped and asked where they were from. It turned out that he’d done his graduate work at the University of Wisconsin and is now teaching English.He was on his way to a sports complex and even asked Glen to join him to play basketball. An example of how ordinary people can break down the barriers of two very disparate nations.

I love getting Lisa’s emails and will share them with you. They make me realize that it’s an intriguing world and I want to learn as much as I can about it.

 


8 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

I have always wondered what it would be like to live in a country where the people speak a completely different language than mine. And that language is not in any way related, linguistically, to English.
I am sure it is challenging--e.g. not being able to read signs; but also rewarding--the account you have just relayed.
I can understand why you look forward to Lisa's emails.
Out of curiosity--does Lisa or her husband speak any of the Chinese languages?

5:32 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

KGMOM: On Friday afternoons the students turn the tables on Lisa, her husband and another teacher. They teach them Chinese !

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginnie, is there any way your friend can send larger photos, or photos which can be enlarged with a click? I would love to see them more clearly.

Also, if you check my blog, you will see I finally fixed your blog name in my blog roll. Catchy title, Goldendaze. Dianne

10:05 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I admire most people who go off to another country to live. I doubt I could do it - well maybe when I was much younger. Mr. kenju's nephew and his wife have lived in Ecuador and Peru for the last 3 years, but after the birth of their first child, they have returned to the US for an attempt at jobs. So far, they are not having any luck, and might go back to South America. I will enjoy reading about your friends.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The word for removal of an ingrown nail is mastrectomy. I left out the 'r'. I fixed my post but spell checker says the word is misspelled.

I tried clicking on your photos again, and made the first photo larger a bit. The second one barely moves.

Perhaps she can send photos that enlarge more. I love the architectural detail, but can't see it. Tell her we are learning from her trip. Dianne

1:34 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

How wonderful to have a friend to teach you more about a different culture.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have some friends who did a few stints in China when they retired. I think they enjoyed it.

4:30 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I was so lucky to be able to live abroad as a teen... and to be able to travel throughout the Middle East before it became the land-mine it is today. I was young enough to pick up the language (Turkish) from friends, but I never learned how to really read it.
Likewise I learned to recognize some words in Arabic... first word was coca cola from all the bill-boards all over Egypt.
Great post, Ginnie, as usual!

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home