Sunday, October 13, 2013

“Only grownup in the room ….”

I saw this woman interviewed a few nights ago and I loved what she had to say. She is the oldest full-time ranger in the National Park Service. She is 92 year old Betty Reid Soskin and she’s been furloughed due to the government shutdown.

Sitting at home is not something that she enjoys. She’d much rather be at her 5 day a week job. She is a park ranger at the Rosie the Riveter National Historic Park in Richmond, California, giving tours for 3 days and working in the Administrative Office for the other two. She told the interviewer that she is confused and angered at all the silliness going on in Washington, DC. It makes her feel like she’s “the only grownup in the room.”

Rosie the Riveter was the name attached to the women who took on factory jobs that had originally been handled by the men who were off fighting World War II . Ms. Soskin was not a “Rosie”, per se, but she is from that era and she remembers first-hand what it was like back in the 40’s. Her tour guide talks are enhanced with her historic memories.

 
After watching the interview I did a little research on her and was surprised and pleased to see that she has a blog (http://cbreaux.blogspot.com/). I can’t think of a better way to end this blog entry of mine than with these words of hers, posted Oct. 1st…just after she learned that she was furloughed.

“Guess this is the prelude to retirement, maybe?

But I want to have my career end on my own terms and not at the whim of others. Could that be what they're doing in Washington, just "whim-ming"? I know that isn't a word, but maybe in this case it might explain a situation that defies logic or even common sense.

What ever happened to common sense, anyway?”



11 Comments:

Blogger troutbirder said...

Good for her. The only adult in the room.....

5:12 PM  
Blogger Regenia said...

God bless her! What an inspiration. I am glad you shared her story.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Regenia said...

What an inspiration! I'm glad you shared her story.

2:36 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a remarkable woman. Some people almost possess never-quit engines. As to the politics, how in the world can people with even a modicum of intelligence elect a government of nitwits?

5:08 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Ginnie, one of my friends said Blogger had made changes on her blog, so I'll see if I can find out what may have changed on mine. I don't want to subscribe to every blog I comment on either. Has yours changed? You are also on Blogspot. Come back and try it again, whenever you get a chance. (Yours looks the same to me, and I can't see any difference on mine.)

9:07 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

"What ever happened to common sense?" She is one wise woman.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for this post, Ginnie, about a quite remarkable woman. I have bookmarked her blog and already started reading recent posts. As for the politics that caused Betty's furlough and so many others not to mention disrupting so many lives, better for me not to get into that here. But, I rather agree with AC's previous comment. Election day is nearing in many states, including VA, so it will be interesting to see if the government's actions or lack thereof affect the outcomes.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sad, but she is only one of many who had their careers interrupted or even ended ignominiously. I am far more concerned about all the youngsters who are trying to get careers started, many of whom have families to support. She's had a great run, but the end comes to us all, in my case before I was ready at age 64 to call it a day. Dianne

2:39 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Yes, I saw her being interviewed on the news... I was quite impressed and very envious - 92, and she is able to run circles around me. Sigh. Well, good for her.
Thanks for this post and the link to her blog.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I saw a TV piece on this woman. I was surprised that she was not forced to retire long ago.

I had a very elegant aunt who loved nice things and was always well turned out. She working in an aircraft plant, as a machinist. For years we had an all metal screwdriver she turned on a lathe. I think it must have been a find test in her training.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Indeed--what did happen to common sense and common decency? Interesting and inspiring lady.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home