Friday, October 25, 2013

“Maya’s Notebook”

Maya’s Notebook” is Isabel Allende’s latest book, published in 2013, and I found it to be a great read. It has her trademark convoluted plot but this novel is placed in the present day which was not the case with the other two books that I’ve read by her….namely “Daughter of Fortune” set in 1840, and “Zorro” 1790 to 1840.

Maya is a 19 year old American girl who has been raised in Berkeley, Calif. by her grandparents who she adores. They are Nini, her grandmother, who emigrated from Chile in 1973 and Popo, her grandfather. He is an African-American astronomer and professor and is the gentle and loving man who guides and sets the tone for the family until his death by cancer when Maya is in her teens.

Popo’s death completely devastates Maya and she turns to drugs and alcohol to try to block out her pain. Of course this does just the opposite and we follow Maya on her downward spiral. Her ventures land her finally in the underworld of Las Vegas where she gets mixed up with assassins, the police and even the FBI and Interpol.

Maya is on death’s doorstep until she is saved by Nini, her formidable grandmother who helps her escape to a remote island off the coast of Chile. It is there that Maya records her story in real time and in flashbacks.

I found it difficult to put “Maya’s Notebook” down and thoroughly enjoyed being part of the journey as Maya went in search of that age-old quest … the meaning of life.

 

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Maya's story wold depress me. Dianne

4:03 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

She is a new to me author and I will look for that book. Thanks.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sounds good. At least the restoration part does.

5:27 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Thanks for the referral. I will check it out - eventually. I have so many "to be read" books on my list I know I will die before I can get to them all. lol

6:02 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Another book on my list to buy.
Thanks!
nice pictures from China, too. Its been a busy week. Sorry.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

When at the library this week, Ginnie, I will check the new books section.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Freda said...

I'm always on the lookout for a good read. Will try her out next time the Library Van comes round. Blessings from Freda at Dalamory. (www.freda.org.uk)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Sounds like a good book, Ginnie. I am reading four books right now. It will go on my "to read" list.

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home