Thursday, October 17, 2013

Amazing? … I’d say INCREDIBLE


It is said that the hymn “Amazing Grace” has been rendered in more musical variations than any other song. You might hear the “Queen of Soul” Aretha Franklin belt it out as true gospel and then turn the station only to hear the same melody being plucked on a guitar.

I have a friend who plays a lovely rendition of the tune on his home made American Indian flute and he is often asked to play at funerals. I even read where one person actually searched iTunes and said he’d found nearly 10,000 versions of the song. Talk about amazing …

But, (as in “fact is stranger than fiction”), the following has to take the cake !   I recently read that Rep. Steve Southerland (R-Fla), whose turn it was to choose a prayer at this past Tuesday’s Republican caucus meeting, chose instead to have them all sing “Amazing Grace”.

I kid you not .

The House Republicans who were interviewed after the meeting seemed quite pleased with their singing abilities and especially that they were able to sing all three verses without having the words to follow. “Isn’t that impressive?” Rep. Michael Burgess (R-Texas) was quoted as saying.

Impressive ???   I’d say the better word is INCREDIBLE !


9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a neat anecdote. I choose to resist snide comments about that party for the time being.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Regenia said...

I have been saying for quite a while that we need new vocabulary. I can't think of words that combine something insane, scary, obnoxious, self-serving, meant to exclude some, ignorant , etc. I could go on and on, but I won't. I'm a Christian and I find their behaviour highly offensive; HIGHLY offensive!!!

5:53 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Yes, incredible is the word I'd use.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Some of the hymn words would seem to apply to more than a few politicians, somoerhaps it was only fitting.

3:38 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Incredible as in you wonder if they know what the word grace means?

8:54 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Did you know that song - the music, anyway, is a black slave song brought from Africa? And did you know that it is played on all Black keys as are most Black spirituals? The pentatonic scale? Try it out!
On the other hand, might it be prophetic since it is most often associated with funerals, and now the GOP? Hmmmm. It is sounding better the more I think of it.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite hymn...amazing. Dianne

1:41 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Music--especially hymns--occupy a large portion of my brain.
I can sing many hymns without looking at the hymnal. But, if I think too hard about it, I hesitate. It's only when I start singing, that the song flows. Including Amazing Grace.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I don't know what to write here about this. The Repubs are clueless--maybe that is all I need to write.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home