Monday, April 23, 2012

ADOPT-A-PRO …


Anyone who has read my profile knows that I’ve been a proud member of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous for more than 22 years and (although I realize there are other ways to get sober) this is the one that’s worked for me … as it has for millions of others worldwide.

So I am excited about a new program that our AA community is promoting called “Adopt a Pro”. We are providing our members with folders containing basic information about AA and we are asking them to share this with their own personal professional, be it a doctor, lawyer, clergyman or employer.

Conveying this information to the professional can be as simple as “As you may know, I’m a member of the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. It has helped me turn my life around. Here’s some basic information about AA, with meeting schedules and contact information. In the event that you treat someone who needs help please feel free to call me.”

The majority of professionals have little knowledge how to treat an alcoholic in crisis or the part that AA can play in restoring him or her to a meaningful life, so this personal contact could be the critical component that makes all the difference . It will be exciting to watch how it enfolds.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope this PROgram saves more than a few.

6:56 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

What an important service, Ginnie.
It cannot do anything but provide support. Let us hear about the progress.
Love, e.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Wonderful idea Ginnie. I hope it does some good! Love Di ♥

5:21 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Very worth while endeavor.

For many years David and I traveled from our home in VA to the Bethesda Naval Hospital in DC once a week to give talks on alcoholism (Him) and the fellowhip of AA and Al-Anon (me). We found most medical staff very ignorant. This was the 1980s.

I would hope they are better informed today, but perhaps not. Dianne

12:32 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Sounds like something that should be in every doctor's hands.
Good job, Ginnie

5:09 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Agree with most of the others who commented, Ginnie, in that this seems to be a much needed program and hope it's successful.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The great success of AA must surely be promoted as widely as possible. At an early age I decided not to drink as a habit. I do occasionally have white wine with a meal. Maybe I saw myself as carrying on my grandmother's tradition. She took the pledge at 18 and never drank all her life. (Such a good moral Methodist). I am fearful of addictions and try not to tempt fate. I admire those who can overcome them. My mother quit smoking 40 times knowing how bad it was for her.
I eat too much for the wrong reasons, unfortunately abstinence is not an option with food. It seems all the pleasure foods are "addictive".

9:02 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I think sharing the literature is great without having to break anonymity. We do a similar thing in Al-Anon where we leave literature in offices and libraries.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home