Friday, March 30, 2012

Our town gets a face-lift !







Up until the 1950’s Route #1 was the fastest and most direct route from Maine to Florida and our little town of Vass, North Carolina, flourished since we sat smack dab in the center. Even when Interstate 95 diverted most of the long distance travelers we still remained a thriving little community.

Well, that all changed a few years back when the State built an express section of Rt. 1 that by-passed our center completely. Many of the Vass citizens thought that would be the death of our town but we’ve managed to hang on.

But the saddest thing, to me anyway, has been watching the old buildings sit idle. Many of them date back to the late 1900’s and I can remember (when we moved here in 1978) that they would be filled with happy crowds and all sorts of fun enterprises … flea markets, hardware goods, farmer’s produce stands… and it was a wonderful way to meet and get to know your neighbors.

So…you can just imagine how pleased I was this week when I drove by these buildings and saw an artist painting this delightful scene. Of course I had to stop and congratulate him (not to mention the fact that I wanted the inside dope) ! And, yes, it’s as good as it looks. A wholesale company called “Carolina Seed & Feed” has already moved in and they commissioned the mural.

Hurray for them and I wish them all the luck in the world.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad the new tenant decided to make the outer walls a mural for passersby to enjoy.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Wow, perfect images for a seed and feed! Looks pretty. Love Di ♥

6:07 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Did I post this already? I can't remember if I pressed Publish.

Cool. It's nice that the new company was willing to make the investment.

5:42 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Oh, how nice!
We got a by-pass here in the late 60s... so totally changed the town. But, at our place in PA, with NO by-pass, the shopping malls did the deed and left us behind. Then some jerk lit a fire one night. The whole downtown burned to the ground, well, OK, just one block, but that was half the town!

And how great to hear such fantastic music. Good for you! Envy, envy!

6:59 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Carolina Feed and Seed. So neat as all those old tobacco farmers switch to organic vegetables. I love the smell of an old feed and seed store.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Ginnie.

Times have changed many things in our lives. Development and progress has wiped out many of the old world charms and simple living.

Very interesting post.
Joseph

8:45 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Beautiful!! I hope I get to see that before my daughter moves.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I hope that Vass will thrive. It is sad that the culture of little towns gets bypassed too.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home