Thursday, March 22, 2012

ANYONE UP FOR A GAME OF FOOSBALL ?





Foosball (sometimes known as Table Football) is a fast paced and very competitive indoor sport and my “children” (50, 51 and 52) thrive on it !

I don’t have the coordination and I can’t seem to get my wrists to move fast enough to be competitive so I rarely play. But I do find it fun to watch and cheer them on.

Actually I had no idea that it’s a game that’s been around for a very long time. It is generally believed to have been originated in Germany where it’s called fussball …literally translated as football and pronounced like “foosball”.

After World War II it was often used as a type of rehabilitation for returning servicemen and it continues to be used as such today. The complete concentration needed to be proficient in the game tends to overcome the wartime memories…or at least that’s the theory.

I also read that foosball ranks up there with billiards and chess when it comes to being the most popular indoor sports game so I can only assume that some of you who read this have had the thrill of competing at a foosball table. I sure hope you enjoy it as much as my kids do!

7 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Very interesting game. I have not heard of this game.

Best wishes,
Joseph

7:36 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I have seen it but never played it. Wouldn't mind trying.

10:33 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Not a game I ever mastered.

By the way, my husband and I are watching past seasons of Mad Men. I keep thinking of some of your posts on living in New York around the same time as the show's setting--the 60s.

7:48 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Never tried it... guess I am not into sports or games, but I used to enjoy watching the kids play it during breaks at our college.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am aware of the game but have never played. I'm sure it's fun.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I knew about it when I was younger but can't remember playing. I wish that more people would learn to play and do things outdoors rather than do the video games that seem so addictive today.

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Big John said...

As Americans call football 'soccer', there has to be a joke in there somewhere. I just can't think of it at the moment.
:-)

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home