Thursday, December 11, 2008

Déjà vu…30 years later “my” Cedar Waxwings return.


I can hardly believe it. I glanced out my window a few minutes ago and was amazed to see the return of the beautiful Cedar Waxwings. It has been 30 years since I’ve seen them.

What was really of interest to me was that they did the exact same thing as they did then. They flew in together (maybe 10 or 12 of them), settled on my wild grape vines and nibbled away. This lasted perhaps 10 minutes and then they were on their way. It made me wonder if they’ve been returning each year and if I just missed that short and magical window of time when they would appear ??

I posted a blog in 2006 about the first time that a flock came to my house and I will post some of it again now.
*****************************************************

In 1978 my elderly mother spent the winter months with us in North Carolina. At age 84 she was still very active and her mind was exceptionally alert. She was also in good physical shape and would take a short walk each day.

She would bring home leaves and berries and anything else that caught her fancy and she would pour over our encyclopedias to identify them. One day she was doing just that in “her” bedroom when I heard a loud cry of astonishment. I went running to see if she was OK and the two of us watched in wonder as more than 20 Cedar Waxwings settled to feed on the berries of a small tree in our backyard.

The tree was just outside her window and we were not more than 10 feet from the birds. We watched in awe as these lovely creatures fed to their heart’s content. I mentioned that I could run and get my camera but Mother put her hand on my arm and said, “Don’t move, they’ll be gone before you get back." and she was right. All of a sudden they perked up, as if they’d heard a silent alarm, and within a minute they were gone.

For a long time I watched to see if “my” Waxwings would return to that little tree. They never did and now my tree, my mother and my Cedar Waxwings are all gone. But, not my memory...that I will savor forever.

12 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

That's a beautiful memory. I'm glad that they returned and brought back those good memories for you.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You know, I think a pair visited our house in Sarnia -- just once.

3:36 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, I think your mom sent them to say hello.

4:42 PM  
Blogger azahar said...

Ginnie,

Like you, I also miss many bird species. When I was a small boy I used to see birds like White-headed munias flying and perching on grasses by the hundreds. They are beautiful brown bodied and white headed birds. Now I could hardly see a pair or two on the grasses outside of my house compound.

The second bird that I miss is the Pink-necked pigeons. Those days flocks of them flying home at dusk. They make good food to many pigeon lovers.

The third is Common tailor bird. They are very few of them now. They are one of the tiniest bird in Malaysia. They knit two broad leaves together to make their beautiful and well-camouflaged nests.

7:14 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Lucky you to have seen them at all. Lovely birds.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Waxwings are among the most exquiste birds. I am glad they delight you and elicit memories for you.

I am like your mother, always interested in the flora and trying to identify it by referring to my small library of books.

10:22 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

Dear Ginnie...what a wonderful memory of your mother and what a wonderful message to you. I truly believe, at least I try to, that the older I become, the closer I come to my mother. I lost her way too young...I count 18 yrs. old. I have always wanted to be like her, the person I remember and hold so dear to my heart.
Both of my parents were lost way too soon...but the older I am, the more I can treasure what they gave me.
Messages in the sky, from the birds, stories, words, scents and sounds...aren't we blessed?

6:20 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie
That is such a lovely post about the waxwings. What a treat they came back to pay a Christmas visit to your home
Sounds like good luck to me.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Great story Ginny, I'm happy for you.

2:57 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Waxwings pass thru here usually in Feb. They do not hang around. If you are lucky enough to have a tree or bush they like and to be looking at the right moment - it is a sight! One flew into my window and broke its neck a few years ago. I picked it up and buried it so the cats would not rip it apart. I was fascinated by those little red beads - needless to say, I had never touched one before. In all my time working in a wildlife rehab we never had a cedar wax wing...

6:37 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

What a gorgeous bird! You were so lucky to see it there. Welcome back too :)

2:23 PM  
Blogger Name: Debra Garcia, M.A. said...

Beautiful photo!

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home