Sunday, February 03, 2008

In Defense of “Simple” Pleasures


“Knock, knock”…. “Who’s there?”… “Apple”…. “Apple Who?”

“Knock, knock”…. “Who’s there?”… “Apple”…. “Apple Who?”

“Knock, knock”…. “Who’s there?”… “Orange”…. “Orange Who?”

“Orange you glad I didn’t say Apple again?

*********************************************************

Now, that’s about as simple as it gets! But just look at the joy that it gives to this happy little 7 year old. She revels in the fact that she’s been so clever and howls with delight.

The older I get the more I wish I could go back to that time of my life. I’ve just about had it with this crazy world of ours, where greed reigns supreme.

I can’t imagine growing up in this day and age...and WE are the ones who have allowed it to happen. The lessons that we seem to have taught our youngsters are “the bigger the sins, the bigger the rewards”. How can we expect them to react differently?

I know that I can’t change the world but I can certainly try to improve my small part in it. I’ve decided to cut out all the “stuff” that seems to run my life...all those extras that I thought I couldn‘t live without. I find it's a very liberating exercise. The more I cut back, the greater freedom I feel ... an exhilarating experience.

So, here’s the deal for me...to live simply and to take each day as it comes. To share what I have with others and, above all, to be thankful for what I have.

Oh, yes… and to keep on being silly. “Knock, knock” ... “Who’s there? ... “Repeat” ...“Repeat who?” ... “Who, who, who.”

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful thoughts. Getting rid of things we don't need can be very liberating. So can sharing with others. Please check out my blog to see what I mean.

2:32 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

That's a good idea, Ginnie. I've been trying to get into the swing of paring down for about 2 years now - but I'm having trouble getting started...LOL. At least I've vowed not to add to the clutter!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for going to Things I Put in My Head. I wanted you to take a look at Shimoda's Dream. That is where I referenced you.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I like your motto. I think it's close to what I believe and try to adhere to.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

"Orange you going to open the door?" I never could afford to clutter my life up with "stuff," and now I am glad for it. I live simply and the child in me is alive and well. I like to play.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

You are so right Ginny, Count me in. I'm
trying to live my life one "now" at a time.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Greed is awful, laughter is free and boy does it feel great!

3:56 AM  
Blogger Truth said...

I agree, and I think most of us don't laugh often enough.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home