Tuesday, February 19, 2008

In 1933 gasoline was 18 cents a gallon…


The Twenty-first Amendment repealing Prohibition was ratified, the World’s Fair opened in Chicago, IBM entered the typewriter business, the first drive-in movie theater opened in Camden, N.J., Willie Nelson, Jayne Mansfield and Larry King were born, the Chicago Bears beat the NY Giants for the first NFL Championship and “your’s truly” was born on February 15th.

Recently I’d heard someone say that “the 40’s are the old-age of adolescence and the 50’s are the youth of old-age”...so that puts me on the down side of old-age and I had figured that it was not much cause for celebration. However, my family thought otherwise and I was completely and totally surprised when they threw a 75th Birthday party for me last Saturday. About 35 friends and family showed up and a grand time was had by all.

There were cards and gifts galore and I loved the sentiment that my friend Bill wrote...”75 is not old...if you’re a tree!” How true.

My three children teamed up to buy me a new stove and a new washer/dryer. They know that I am still part of the “want not, waste not” generation and I would have gone to the grave with my old appliances ! However, I love my new ones. They are state-of-the-art and seem to have a button to handle any situation.

Gift cards are always very welcome and I received quite a few (Panera’s, Starbuck’s, Book Stores and Olive Garden), as well as an array of toiletries and remembrances. However, my most original gift came from my blogging friend, Bud. He actually had the name of my blog “Goldendaze” fashioned to hang on a lovely gold chain. (That’s the necklace you see and the other picture is Bud giving me the gift.)



My daughter Jody had the inspiration for the party but everyone chipped in. There were no formal invitations sent out...just word of mouth...but the company, the food and the feeling of comradeship couldn’t have been better if it had been choreographed.

Now it’s up to me to revise my thinking...75 is just a number, not a doomsday prediction. With friends and family like mine I am truly blessed.

12 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We lived in a border town in the early 70s. We go over to Port Huron and buy gas for as low as 50 cents.

That party sounds great and well deserved.

2:00 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, a belated happy birthday to you! How wonderful of your children to go in on new appliances for you. I may give that idea to my children....LOL

2:51 PM  
Blogger barbhap said...

Happy Birthday Ginnie! What a wonderful birthday for you!
I love your stories and life experiences. Please continue.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Those of us who you have shared with over the years are the ones who are blessed Ginnie. Happy Seventy Five.

1:59 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Aww--Ginnie--what a wonderful family and such great friends. I love the necklace.
And let me add a belated birthday wish--may you have many more!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

A wonderful, lovely, belated happy birthday to you Ginnie. I love the necklace!

1:27 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Awww, how wonderful. Happy birthday Ginnie!

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Ginnie.

1933 must have been a good year as my wife was also born then.

BTW Petrol (gas) is now around $9 a gallon here in the UK.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

In 1933 my nanna was 17 years old and she had just gotten released from her Orphanage after getting a job as a Nanny in Sydney. Times were alot easier than back in 1920 when she had been placed in the home. Well, she says they seemed to be alot easier..until WW2 began and rationing came in. I am just not too sure times have ever been easy. I mean, the depression, the wars, the re building of lives post war...now..interest rates, cost of food...perhaps it just goes in cycles.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Oh, and Happy 75 years young :)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Melly` said...

Oh - dammit see I dont check a blog for a few lousy days and I miss something important.

Belated wishes... and of course .. so very glad you had a great time.

What a thoughtful clever necklace...

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Ginnie....I feel terrible that I haven't been able to pop by here sooner.
But I want to wish you a VERY belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! What a special milestone and I think you certainly qualify for 75 years YOUNG!
So glad you had such a great surprise party. And that necklace from Bud....how original and how thoughtful. I just love it.
Here's wishing you an entire year filled with good health, much happiness and volumes of laughter!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home