Monday, March 05, 2007

HOME AGAIN…and back to Goldendaze-ginnie


Back in the early 1960’s my Mother used to travel to Ft. Lauderdale with my Uncle. They would escape the cold of New England for a month and always took the same route to Florida...which was Rt. 1. I thought it would be fun to try that way on my recent trip and I did so. It was a silly, sentimental thing to do, and it added 3 hours to the journey...but I got it out of my system once and for all.

It was wonderful to see my sister and brother-in-law. We talked up a storm and, other than our Saturday excursion, kept a pretty low profile. My brother-in-law has been active at the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville since it’s inception and we visited there on Sunday. If you are ever in the area you must put it on your list of “things to see”. It is maintained and operated by the North Florida Botanical Society, a non-profit educational org., and is 62 acres of gardens of all descriptions.

On Saturday we made our way to Cedar Key, as planned, to meet with Terri and Ray. This is a fascinating little island village of 900 year-round residents. It is located about an hour from Gainesville. We were early and spent most of the time bird watching. We were especially pleased to come upon a flock of Oyster Catchers, which are fairly rare.

We met Terri and Ray at Cook’s Café and it took us about 10 minutes before we all felt like old friends. I think Ray was happy to have another male on hand. After a wonderful lunch we went back to their house for coffee and desert...carrot cake baked by Ray, no less. It was fun to meet Holly and Dundee and the three cats. The two dogs were excited to meet us and the cats ignored us completely!

Terri has a wonderful studio. I can see why it would be inductive to her creativity. I was thrilled to get her two books and look forward to reading them. My sister and her husband and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting my new “blogging” friend Terri and her family. It is just another example of how the blogging world brings us together.

I started out at 6am today and took the tried and true Rt. 95 North. I don’t usually like that but there was little traffic and my trip from door to door took under 9 hours, as opposed to the 12 that it took going down.

And now I am “Home, Sweet, Home” and glad to be here. I’ll get back on my regular blogging schedule tomorrow.

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I often like the secondary roads, but sometimes the long way is simply too darn long.

5:54 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

It sounds like a good trip and I am sure it was nice to meet Terri and her husband and the animals. Glad you are home safely!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

It's always nice to indulge a sentimental whimsy. You had to do it:0)

Lucky you - A flock of Oyster Catchers! They are such striking birds. I've only ever seen a few at a time and was always delighted.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read about your meeting Terri on her blog too. Isn't meeting bloggers interesting?
After a trip, I always enjoy being home and getting some rest!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Sounds devine, and the carrot cake, yummy, I love that!!!

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know, Joe and I were recently in Cedar Key and loved it. Do you remember passing the Sunset RV camp? That was home to us for nearly a week. I loved the bird watching too! I posted lots of the birds shots recently. The Park Motel had a bird idetification spread on their wall and I kept going over there to identify the ones I saw.

I just wrote down Kanapaha Botanical Gardens.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a pleasure to meet you and your family, Ginnie. And glad you had a safe trip back home. Quite a difference in the travel time by doing I-95.
So welcome back to blogging.

6:14 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

She's back! Welcome home. I've missed you, although I checked in daily to see if you were home.
Glad you had a good & renewing trip. Getting something out of one's system is always good to do.
As for going off the main road, oh, that is fun. On our recent Oregon trip my husband & I did that twice, with wondrous results.
Looking forward to your blogs again.

6:27 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I'm so glad for you.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home