Monday, February 05, 2007

FREDERIC E. CHURCH and OLANA



Frederic Church (1826-1900), one of America’s premier landscape painters, made his home on 250 acres of prime land in Columbia County, NY, overlooking the Hudson River. It is a short distance from where my daughter and her husband live and is a favorite place for us to visit when I am with them. I'm sure it will become my niece Wendy's "go to" place also since she just moved to the area.

Church was greatly impressed by the Moorish architecture that he saw in Middle Eastern cities like Beirut and Jerusalem and he styled his estate to replicate his Persian fantasy. Even the name of the home, OLANA, is Persian.

Today OLANA is a New York State Historic Site. Luckily, with the help of the Olana Preservation, most of the furnishings have been preserved exactly as they were when Church was alive. The contents are an eclectic gathering of furniture, tapestries, rugs, bronzes, paintings and sculpture,  collected over a 30 year period and are representative of his many interests. The color scheme, the stenciling and the mosaic creations were all designed by Frederic Church. He even had furniture made to his design.


Frederic Church was a student of Thomas Cole, widely regarded as the first exponent of the Hudson River School of painting. He then went on to become one of the best known landscape painters in America. His home at OLANA offers magnificent sweeping vistas of the Catskill Mountains, the Hudson River and the Taconic Hills and he preserved these views in his paintings.

Even when OLANA isn’t open for viewing it is a treat to visit. We’ve done that in all seasons and find that wandering the picturesque grounds is just like being part of a masterpiece as grand as a Frederic Church painting.

9 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

I strap on my imaginary seat belt, climb in Ginnie's explore-the-country-mobile, and away I go.
Once again, thanks for taking us along on your trip.
Very interesting--not a place I had heard of, but another one to add to my "I'd like to see" list.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

You have the most interesting stories, truly. You ought to put them all in a book.

7:07 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I have heard of Church, of course, but I didn't know that he was like Frank L. Wright in designing other stuff as well. I'd love to see Olana.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginnie -

I'm the Membership Director for The Olana Partnership and came across your blog - thank you so much for sharing Olana with your readers and friends. I'm fellow Carolinian (though the Southern one) and upon moving to the Hudson Valley - Olana was the one thing that took my breath away in a region full of beauty. I feel so fortunate to look at the views immortalized in Church's paintings daily.

Thank you again and please come by Cosy Cottage next time you're at Olana to say hi!

All the best -

Debbie Hall

7:41 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Beautiful post Ginnie, I love the way you wrote that, it feels like I am there when I read it :)

8:36 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

How interesting, thank you.

By the way, I've started Tai Chi and I think I'm going to love it. Thanks for suggesting it to me.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Melly` said...

Yeah - another place to add to the "wish to visit" folder. Thank you!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Blogger's been screwed up all afternoon here. I tried a political joke!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

I have spent many enchanted and inspired hours at Olana... I have never seen it when it was not inspiring!

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home