Sunday, February 25, 2007

“THREE COINS IN A FOUNTAIN”




If you want your “just desserts” go to Rome, and especially to the Piazza della Rotonda. That was where I had my first taste of the classic Italian wonder known as gelato.

The piazza was lined with cafes and had a fountain and an obelisk dating back to the 16th century in it’s center. We had a choice of many “gelato bars” but chose to take the short walk to one of Rome’s oldest...the Giolitti. It was an experience not to be missed. Colorful mounds of gelato were piled high, topped with fresh fruit to indicate their flavors.

Even the waffle cones were displayed as art. They came in three colors and flavors(natural, red and brown), and were stacked upside down so they formed very tall and colorful columns. They were an apt backdrop for the frenetic scooping. The simple act of ordering your gelato was a production in itself. Good humored laughter and many hand gestures were needed to convey your choice and then, in typical Italian style, the final product would be presented as if it were the finest jewel in the crown.

The choice of flavors was astounding...fig and lychee nut, almond and coconut to name just a few. I finally ordered a double dipper and was thrilled to find that the “hype” for gelato was well earned. It was much creamier than ice cream and the flavors were dense and almost tart. I loved it.

I had another Roman thrill on the day that I discovered gelato. We went to the famous Trevi Fountain and I took my cue from Audrey Hepburn as I tossed loose change over my shoulder. I felt just like I was in the movie “Three Coins In a Fountain” and I did make a wish. I know, I know...I’m a far cry from Audrey Hepburn but what do you think wishes are for??

12 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

When we visited Rome several years ago, and went to the Trevi Fountain, it was so crowded with tourists (like us) that we couldn't get a clear photo of our daughter in front of the fountain. So she, being brave, held up her hand and scolded someone who tried to walk between her and me (mom) taking the photo. Quite funny. Very un-Audrey Hepburn.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Ah - gelato! It's been so many years. I think I remember 'rice' gelato.

When we arrived at the fountain it was surrounded by chicken wire and other construction material as it was receiving a much needed renovation.

I think your Audrey Hepburn imitation is splashing - I mean 'smashing'. Heh, heh :0)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

More travel and world peace :)

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me want to go to Rome! Such a gorgeous city!

11:54 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Having eaten pistachio gelato at Giolitti's in oct., you bring back good memories. If I lived in Italy, it would be a daily consumption, I fear!!

I also tossed coins in the fountain. They say you must throw 2 coins; the first will grant your wish and the second will grant you another trip to Rome. I hope that one comes true for both of us!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah memories: when Cuppa and I were courting we'd often walk to an Italian Ice Cream place near her in Toronto.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I remember the movie "Three coins in the Fountain" and how much I loved it...I was so young when I saw it and remember thinking "ah Rome, ah romance." To this day I can hear the song playing in my mind. And the Trevi Fountain. Wow. What beautiful stories you share with us.

11:06 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I loved that movie! How I would love to go to Rome.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm ashamed to say I've visited Italy, but never sampled gelato. You can bet I will when we return there in September, after your wonderful recommendation.
Did your wishes come true? I love fountains like that.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

Would you believe that we can get gelato in Juneau, when we don't even have a Burger King? But, so it is. We have a restaurant that is a very upscale Mongolian barbecue and they make their own gelato -- you never know what the flavor will be until you get there, but if is often made with the local wild berries.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice picture. Shame that traffic cop got in the way. :-)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

The Trevi Fountain ... my family toured Europe in a VW van in 1968, and the Trevi Fountain was one of the things my dad really wanted to see. I loved it, probably because he loved it.

Thanks for a sweet memory.

And bon voyage!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home