Tuesday, November 21, 2006

MY ‘69 CAMARO….Short-lived glory !


1969 was a pretty good year in the Real Estate business in New York State. My husband made a big sale and surprised me with a brand new Camaro SS coupe. It looked very much like the one in the picture except that it was a gorgeous shade of burnt-orange.

Dick paid cash for the car and as it turned out this was the first and only time that we were able to splurge like this in our married life, but I didn’t know that at the time.

My husband had a Blazer and we decided we’d use that to show property and to chauffer children and animals. The Camaro would be for my use and for special occasions for the two of us. I still remember how I felt the first time that I drove off alone. I was one foxy lady…in my mind, anyway !

I got a lot of attention when I drove that car. I was no longer a dowdy old housewife and I reveled in it. I like to think that I was still a good wife and mother then but I have to admit that I loved the feeling that I still had “it”.

About 3 months later my husband started to expand the building area of his Real Estate business. It meant that he was doing a lot of hauling and he was using his Blazer to the max. I’ll never forget the night that he sat me down and told me that we had a serious thing to talk about.

I think he must have practiced his speech because it was very effective. He explained that we were in desperate need of a truck and that the only way we could afford this would be to sell my car. He never actually said it but I felt that I would be very selfish to keep my frivolous “toy” in the face of this “family emergency”.

So, there you have it. We sold my gorgeous Camaro and bought a dark green flat-bed truck. I’d never thought of my husband as the jealous type and I know the truck was good for business, but I’ve often wondered if he had another motive?

If he did, it worked. I took over the Blazer and went back to hauling kids, groceries and dogs. I never again had so much as an admiring whistle from a stranger.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...he robbed you of your freedom...lol But all for a good cause.
I could totally relate to this story...when we first moved to Florida I got a brand new Crysler LeBaron convertible. I was hot! Amazing how a particular car can totally change a woman's personality and it was such fun.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

American cars have always been a bit of a mystery to me, but I did once have a ride in a Camaro which was driven by a friend in Pennsylvania. I remember it well, and the state trooper was very polite. :-)

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that time.. and how "hot" it would have been to be in a Camaro.

In my age range, the "hot" car was a '68 Mustang convertible. (I bought one about five years later...) I used to zip up and down the Pacific Coast Highway like a jet, hair blowing in the wind with my little halter top. Cool stuff! LOL

Peace,

~Chani

12:45 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah yes, the era of Mustangs, Firebirds, Camaros and Cougars. That's the year we got married. We had an old Rambler for a time and then a new Maverick, but there were no hot cars in our budget.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Josh Max's blawg said...

Ah! Such memories! My MOM, believe it or not, had a '74 screaming orange Duster that could do 140. After many repairs to keep a monster muscle car like that in shape, though, she had to dump it, much to the chagrin of her children.

And what did she replace it with?

A Gremlin!

Talk about downsizing!

Happy Thanksgiving, Ginny!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Your touching story rang so true that I would like to say:

I admire you and your indomitable spirit.

Happy Thanksgiving.

7:55 PM  
Blogger SuperP. said...

That is a great car! I had a 76 Camaro.. but, that year wasn't as sweet as yours. I think it's cute what your husband did. ;)

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. Reminds me of "Desperate Housewives"

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home