Monday, December 06, 2021

Other FLOTUS gems

In my last post I highlighted Jill Biden and Melania Trump ...  First Ladies O The United States.  They, of course, are the latest 2 to hold that title, but that left 44 other ladies that came before them.   My all-time favorite FLOTUS is Eleanor Roosevelt, but she is one of a kind and not what I was looking for. Nor was I interested in the majority of wives who stood by their husbands and are lauded for the help they were to his Presidency. 

I thought it would be fun to read about the first ladies and see if there were any quirks or little-known facts that would be interesting to pass on to you.  I chose these 5 and hope you will enjoy then too.


Julia Tyler, President John Tyler’s second wife had a taste for the finer things. Not only did she introduce the polka dance to Washington ballrooms, but she was also known to drive a coach of matching white Arabian horses around the D.C. area.


Frances Cleveland at the tender age of 21, Grover Cleveland’s wife holds the record for being the youngest First Lady and the only bride of an incumbent president to marry—and give birth—in the White House.

Lucy Hayes. When children living in D.C. were forbidden to roll Easter eggs on the Capitol grounds, Lucy Hayes permitted them to use the White House lawn instead, and the traditional White House Easter Egg Roll was born.


Helen, "Nellie" Taft: After this first lady visited Japan in 1912 with husband, William Howard
Taft, the mayor of Tokyo sent her 3,000 cherry tree saplings  which are still blooming in the
nation’s capital each spring to this day.



And my favorite, Betty Ford. o
n her husband’s last day in office, Mrs. Gerald Ford was so overjoyed that she gleefully tapped danced on the Cabinet room’s conference table. 







4 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Betty had her priorities for sure. Good for her!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks! This blog post made me smile.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I didn't know the Betty Ford story. Well I didn't know any of them, but you'd think I would have known that one. 😎

6:54 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

These were all delightful ladies who left quite a mark. Though not my party of choice, I really liked Barbara Bush. Especially the book she and Lillie the White House dog wrote.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home