Thursday, May 03, 2007

August, 2002... My NEW ENGLAND project


I have always had a fondness and interest in the Folk Arts of the 18th & 19th centuries. These were objects crafted by our ancestors. They had produced them for necessity but also created beauty, which resulted in a style that is uniquely American...the “art of the common man”.

I had seen many of these objects in books and in large museums, but it occurred to me that I would have a much more intimate relation to these works of art if I were to find them in their original locations. I combined this idea with another love of mine...cruising back country roads and remote areas in my car...and decided to write a vacation/travel book.

My research was extensive. Personnel from Historic Societies, museums and tourism offices were more than willing to help me. I sifted through reams of paper work, rejected and accepted a myriad of ideas and suggestions and finally came up with my travel plan.

I spent the month of August, 2002, in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine , recording my discoveries. I was able to map out a route and the reader and I go on a trek that shuns the highways in favor of the seldom used but picturesque byways. We go in search of our American heritage and we, literally, step back in time.

I was very excited about this. I was convinced that others felt, as I did, that a vacation on the back roads of New England was a far better cathartic to the stress of “technology overload” than all the self-help books on the shelf.

When I came home from that month’s travels I felt reborn in a way that I had not experienced in years and I enthusiastically produced a “1st draft”. I then proceeded to submit it to publishers...and to submit it...and to submit it...ad infinitum. There was not a glimmer of interest and I finally gave up on the idea.

This book will never come to fruition but my wonderful memories of that journey will last a lifetime.

10 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

You are lucky to be free to do that, Ginnie. If gas prices were not so extreme and getting worse, I might plan a trip like that too.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

You're right, Judy. At these prices I wouldn't be able to do it now, either.

1:36 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Books written but not accepted--sorry. Frustrating. But you got a blog subject out of it--and I bet you could write more on the subject. Should you do that--we will happily read it!

8:00 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I agree with KG. We would love to read it here!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

What an amazing journey you have had, nd I am so glad you can share it with us here :)
I am with kgmom, I would read your book happily here :)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Why let your work go to waste? You could turn the book into a separate blog. Why not? Or you could get a website and make a pdf available. It's a great concept you have, and I think you should find a way to share it, whether it ends up being read by one or many. Personally, I think a separate blog, done in bite-sized installments is the best plan. Then, you can make the whole thing available as a download when the blog's finished. I know it's not what you intended, but I once asked another unpublished author whether she wanted to be read or to make money. It turns out that it was the former ... and she didn't. So, she wasn't read either. So ... that's my sermon for the day. :)

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I bet that was fun and you enjoyed it!
As far as publishers....they ONLY will accept what they think...that's the operative word, "think".....will sell to the public.
But at least you have your own memories of a great time in New England.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

The back roads up here really do take you back in time, although monied people from out of state are doing their damndest to change it rather than work with it. Not all, but many.

I'll bet your travel book is terrific, sorry you didn't get published but glad you had the experience.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie
What a loss that the publishers did not want to publish your book. It sounds so interesting. Why not resubmit it. Perhaps the timing was not right at that time.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sorry, I meant the latter. She wanted to make money and didn't. While I don't blame her for wanting to make money, it was her time to reconsider.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home