Wednesday, August 30, 2006

“KNOW YOUR MESS” …..1983



My son, Mark, at age 24, wrote this ode to his Dad,
entitled “Know Your Mess”.
********************************

“My father’s workshop…a busy space,
But so many tools out of place.

Tools smeared by oil, others by grease,
Some should be labeled ‘rest in peace’.

Hammers hang longing to drive the spikes.
He leaves us room for broken bikes.

Slew of tiny screws, stack of wood,
Things he might use, things he never would.

My mother, his love, can’t understand
All of these things without a plan.

She brings ‘it’ up and he says “yes”,
But never has time to plan the mess.

He asks for a wrench, I hear of cost,
He always knows when they are lost.

Then he asks me for the pliers,
I think I saw them by the tires.

But he knows just where they are,
He had to look some, none too far.

It takes a man years to know his mess,
Where all his tools lie, more or less.

My father’s work shop, lots of space,
And every tool, he knows it’s place.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Ginnie,
your son is he talking about your husband or all the men of the world! lol lol lol :o) that was wonderful.

Now I am off to read your other chats they look so interesting and I love any history about the 50s being a 50s baby lol lol.

have a lovely day....it was so beautiful!
Lee-ann

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginnie, I really like Mark's ode. It really does capture the essence of a work shop. I am sure 'Dad' got a great chuckle and message of love from his writing.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home