Tuesday, August 02, 2022

“BOB & RAY”, 1949



The comedy team of “Bob & Ray” was catching on like wildfire in 1949, the year that I was a Junior in High School. Their wacky radio show, “Matinee with Bob & Ray” aired on WHDH, Boston, and I couldn’t wait for the daily 15 minute segments to begin.

Their format was typically to satirize radio and TV (which was just emerging) with off-the-wall dialogue, usually presented in a deadpan style.



Another spoof was their game show entitled, “The 64 Cent Question” and my favorite segment, the cowboy singer who did rope tricks on the radio

Bob was usually the interviewer and Ray would take on different accents and voice tones. He had a wonderfully flat tone that he used for all his female characters, especially Mary McGoon, a home economics advisor who shared her bizarre recipes with the audience. 

By 1949 they had been airing the show for three years and, although their popularity was growing, they hired the Ad Agency that my Dad worked for to promote it even further. Dad made plans to attend a live broadcast and he took me with him. It was my first time to watch the inner workings of a radio show and it was amazing to watch how they made the sound effects and other technical ends of the business.

I was just 16 years old when I attended that with Dad and little did I know that "live radio" would  be a large part of my life too.  As was said in those days "keep tuned."   


5 Comments:

Blogger ApacheDug said...

"Rope tricks on the radio" gave me a real chuckle! I wish I could've experienced these times for myself, but how exciting that you got to see this live, Ginnie--I'm looking forward to hearing more.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I laughed at “rope tricks on the radio.” It must have been fascinating to watch the program in progress. I will be back.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Did they really say “keep tuned” in your world? It was always “stay tuned” in mine.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

They were just a wee bit before me but it was so cool that you got to see a live radio show with sound effects and all.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Bob and Ray were favorites of mine, too, when I found them -- hilarious!

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home