Friday, July 29, 2022

LIVE RADIO SHOWS in the 1940’s

 

In the early 1940’s World War II was raging and the live radio shows of that era provided a much-needed respite for the families waiting at home and for the boys on base. “The Jack Benny Show”, “Edgar Bergan and Charlie McCarthy”, “Burns and Allen” and “The Great Gildersleeve” were only a few of the shows that brought their home-spun humor into our lives.

I was 9 yrs old in 1942 and I can remember many a night that we gathered around the big, wooden radio in the living room and laughed until the tears flowed. There were also nights when we cried as we listened to the news of our brave boys so far from home. The radio was our lifeline for good news or bad.

By 1946 my taste in radio shows had changed dramatically. I was now a teenager and my “romantic” self couldn’t get enough of “The Lux Radio Theater”. Their format was to air one hour radio versions of motion pictures, often using the same cast as in the movie. (examples of these were: “Jane Eyre”, “I Remember Mama”, and “Miracle of the Bells”.) The only problem was that my bedtime was before the show came on. Not to worry. We now owned two smaller radios and I, simply, connected a long extension cord to one of them and took the radio to bed with me!

My folks never reprimanded me, or even let me know that they were aware of what I was doing. But, I recall many nights that I fell asleep mid-show and woke the next morning to find the radio miraculously turned off and set on the floor beside the bed.

4 Comments:

Blogger ApacheDug said...

A very nice read, thanks for sharing Ginnie. Those radio shows were a little before my time, but a couple years ago I was confined to bed for kidney-related issues, and while I didn't have a radio & long extension cord, I did have a computer tablet and youtube, and spent many nights listening to old-time radio shows. Ozzie & Harriet, Dragnet, Suspense, CBS Radio Mystery Theater, Burns & Allen. They weren't live of course, but I could just imagine when they were. :^)

2:33 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can imagine that those radio shows were quite the marvellous events. I was born too late for that. Sue got into listening to some of the old programs awhile back, but neither the stories nor the quality of the sound appealed to me in this era.

3:33 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Boy did you bring back memories. I loved all those shows. Once when we went to NY my uncle took us to Radio City Music Music Hall and we got to watch a live performance of Jack Benny. Of course we were so far back that we couldn't make out the features of the performers. Still a delightful highlight.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

I, too, recall numerous radio shows for our one radio. I especially remember a favorite was "Lux Radio Theatre". Jack Benny opening that closet. So many more.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home