Wednesday, July 06, 2022



It was a balmy April evening in New York City and my date was escorting me home after an early movie. It was a weekday and we both needed to be up early for work. As we crowded into the elevator I was surprised to come face to face with an old college schoolmate. I hadn’t seen Pete for 3 years and we were, naturally, excited to run into each other.

Pete was also on an early date and we managed to exchange eye signals that said, “Lets say goodnight to our dates and then meet in the lobby”. I’m not quite sure how we pulled that off, but we did, and about 30 minutes later Pete and I reunited. All of a sudden it didn’t matter that it was a week night. This was my old friend Pete from Upsala College days and we had lots of catching up to do.

My apartment was in Tudor City and Pete had friends who lived just two blocks away. “There’s sure to be a party going on”, he said and he was right. This was a 4th floor walk-up apartment and we could hear the music and the conversation long before we got to the door. We were warmly welcomed and I was introduced to a new and invigorating group of New Yorkers. The talk was eclectic but typically liberal and heavily concentrated on the Arts.

As the evening went on a new man arrived and I found myself drawn to him. Dick was a photographer who had just left a two year stint on “Life” magazine and was starting a free-lance business. He was attractive, in a rough boyish style and not very tall. His mother lived in the apartment one floor up and he had moved in with her while he launched his new career.

Suddenly this thought came to my mind: “He’s too short for me, but this is the man that I’m going to marry !” I guess Pete saw the hand writing on the wall because he kind of faded away after Dick told him, “Don’t worry, old buddy, I’ll be happy to see that Ginnie gets home safely.”

So there it is...three dates in one night. It was the only time that I ever did that, but I don’t feel guilty about it since my third date and I were married four months later. Dick and I tied the knot on August 23, 1958 and our marriage lasted 32 years until his death in 1990


Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Love this story and glad you saved the best for last. One time I tried 2 in one night and that frazzled my nerves. Neither knew about the other.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

Love the story of how you met your husband!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Great story. You knew quickly Dick was the one. It worked out well too!

3:46 PM  
Blogger ApacheDug said...

I just wanted to say I very much enjoyed this (and the Merv Griffin story too). I only recently discovered your blog on Arkansas Patti's page, I look forward to reading more. PS You & your husband made a very attractive couple. :^)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

That was an interesting night. Also, that the thought crossed your mind that you would marry Dick when you first met him.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home