Thursday, March 24, 2022

'A different world ...

 ...that even the humor of today is completely different from what it was for much of my life.  Take the Johnny Carson nighttime TV show for example.  There was a type of innocent humor there that you hardly ever see now.  I remember how much my husband Dick and I loved to watch his show. 



For example I remember the night that Johnny invited Myrtle Young to be one of his guests. She worked as a quality control inspector for a potato chip factory in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Many chips were discarded because of irregularities and Myrtle was allowed to take them home.  She would sort through them and often find ones that she felt resembled animals, people and objects.  They all became a collection of which she was extremely proud.  

I will end with this part of the Carson interview and I think you will see what I mean ... 

Johnny Carson Eats a Prized Potato Chip on ... - YouTube

6 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Yes it is.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I saw that Carson episode when it happened. So funny. Loved humor that was not crude and often mean like today's is.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Hilarious! Such innocent humour.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Regina M. said...

never missed his show...enjoyed his straight-faced reaction to whatever the funny stuff around him was saying/doing.

so much garbage on TV now that it's difficult to find something I would have felt comfortable having my kids watch with me. whatever happened to the 8 to 10 slots for funny sitcoms the entire family could enjoy.

thanks for the memories today. from the base of the mini-mountain in Maine.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

I didn't stop at the potato-chip episode you linked but rather watched a few other episodes. Not too long ago, I had watched Drew Barrymore's first appearance on Carson's show. She was wonderful at seven, and he was so good talking to her. I cringe at humor that depends on someone else's weakness or disability.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

I, too, have thought of the Carson Show and miss his brand of humor compared to the offerings today. I recall the potato chip lady and how that evolved! Ha!

Because we worked on a talk show with great musicians and often name guests, going to a TV studio held little surprise for us, but we did decide to view a live Carson Show one time after we moved to California just for the novelty. We concluded afterward that we would be more content viewing the program on TV than to be there in person in the future. I don't even remember much about that show and even who the guests were now.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home