Saturday, July 10, 2021

Another memory … The Palm Spring Follies



As I write this in 2021 I realize that none of my “old friends” are still alive, but I have wonderful memories of them. Ted, from the NY City days in the 50's, was one of my favorites. He and his partner had moved to Palm Springs, California and in 2006 they invited me to fly out to visit.

I did that and one memorable evening we attended the famous “Palm Spring Follies”, a Broadway-type performance of music, dance and comedy of the 30’s and 40’s, with a cast that was old enough to have lived it! I must admit that I was pretty skeptical about watching a bunch of “elder hoofers” do their thing. I knew that the performers ranged in age from 57 to 82 and I was prepared to be generous in my acceptance of their old-age shenanigans.

Was I ever wrong!

From start to finish the Follies proved to be an exceptionally professional performance. The cast sang and danced with a zest that even a teenager would envy. About mid-way in the evening Riff Markowitz, originator of the Follies, introduced the performers individually. He gave their names, ages and a brief biography of their backgrounds. Most of them were from a career in acting and dancing and they loved the opportunity to be back in the spotlight again. The oldest one was an 82 year old dancer and the audience gave her a standing ovation.

Of course time does not stand still and, as the years went by, there were fewer performers who could fit the bill and the Palm Springs Follies ended a 23 year run on May 18, 2014.




 

6 Comments:

Blogger Terra said...

That is sad the Follies ended, I am sure it was a wonderful event. In my town we have an event of talented singers and dancers called The Senior Follies, and I go every year. It recently dropped Seniors from the name and added the name of our city, but all performers are seniors.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

The Follies made our local L.A. area news every year since Palm Springs is just down the freeway from us. The performers were truly spectacular!

2:47 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Thank you for reminding us that older people can still do wonderful things.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, that lady was hoofing at my age and I find going to the mail box a challenge. Impressive.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I realize as I get older the only limit, other than health, is imagination!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

From my friend Jan ...

Bravo for them!
Envy, envy, envy...... from someone who has days when I cannot make it out to my garden!

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home