Thursday, October 15, 2020

“GOOD to the LAST DROP”


The “Good to the Last Drop” slogan to advertise Maxwell House Coffee started in 1917 and is one of the most recognizable slogans ever written. Just recently I've seen where the new ads for that coffee brand have gone back to using that old slogan and, once again, it reminds me of my father.

In the 40’s our whole family would gather 'round the big wooden radio in the living room to listen to our favorite shows like “Maxwell House Coffee Time”, better known as the “Burns and Allen Show”. We never missed an episode which always began with Gracie Allen saying "Another cup of Maxwell House coffee, George?" and George Burns replying, "Sure. Pour me a cup, Gracie."

 Maxwell House was also the sponsor of the radio version of “Father Knows Best“. Each episode began with the youngest daughter Kitten asking, "Mother, is Maxwell House really the best coffee in the whole world?" to which her mother would reply, "Well, your father says so, and Father Knows Best!"

And it was back in those years that I came to realize that my dad was pretty special too. 

One of my favorite memories of him was how he never failed to answer that "good to the last drop" Maxwell slogan with the words ... "what's wrong with the last drop?"




5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Great memory, Ginnie. It is amazing how certain ads stick with us for a lifetime.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Do remember those old shows too. Smiled at your Dad's comment. Never thought of it but he was right:)

5:19 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ricardo Montalban is the one whom I associate.
https://youtu.be/l-0g6mp3g1M

8:05 AM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

(From my friend Jan ...)

The problem with the LAST DROP is that it is the LAST drop!

I survived college on Maxwell House coffee and Chips Ahoy for breakfast. And that last drop was never enough... Never enough coffee, never enough time, never enough... the story of almost any kid in college.

I still drink it first thing in the morning... followed by a bottle of Starbucks mocha Frappuccino. Never enough of that, either

11:32 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

I recall listening to the radio and the Maxwell House slogan.. I never drank coffee until in my mid-twenties after I graduated from college. Leaving an earlier job I went to work in a bank’s loan dept. Fifteen minutes before the bank opened we all went down stairs and everybody drank coffee. Most were upset whenever they ran out of cream or sugar. I decided finally for something to do in those minutes to drink coffee, but determined to learn to like it black so I didn't have to worry about cream and sugar. I’ve drunk coffee black ever since but did switch to decaf a few years ago.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home