Monday, July 11, 2016

Wes … 1958, NY City


The two years that my husband Dick spent at “LIFE” magazine put him in contact with many people that he would never have met otherwise. One of them was Byron who, when he saw some of Dick's photos, hired him to take his portrait. They hit it off and we would often meet him and his partner, Wes, for an impromptu drink or meal.

One of my favorite memories of that time came about when Dick and I were invited for dinner at their apartment on Riverside Drive. I was excited about it because I'd always wanted to see the inside of those lovely buildings. I wasn't disappointed.

There were only 8 of us for dinner and it was a diversified and lively group. When I commented about the wonderful smell coming from the kitchen Wes grabbed my arm and steered me that way. He was excited and kept telling me what fun he'd had putting the dinner together. As soon as we got to the kitchen I saw why. Wes had prepared a rack of lamb … a rib for each person.


But the exciting and fun part was how he had decorated the lamb. He had painstakingly fashioned paper “hats” for each chop with the person's name attached. It was amazing. I can't recall what mine was but I do remember there was a camera for Dick's and someone else was a turkey !
Wes was a set director for CBS and, over the years, he would go on to win 4 Emmy's. We lost touch with him but about 8 years ago I met up with him again in Palm Springs. He was a mutual friend to the ones I was visiting and, although years had taken their toll on both of us we had great fun reminiscing.
Wes passed away in March of this year. I'm glad I took this picture of him. We were at the art museum where he volunteered ... his expertise as a set director being very apparent with the displays behind him.
  


5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Such a lovely memory and a wonderful tribute to your friend. He was a talented man!

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading about your life in New York City, Ginnie, as it reminds of the time I spent working there in 1977. As an 'alien' from London I loved the 'buzz', although, at that time, it could be a bit 'seedy' to say the least. I made some good friends. One of them being a cop who invited me home to have dinner with his family after I asked him for directions. Happy times !

6:58 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What wonderful memories. A rack of lamb is on my last meal menu--lucky you. How neat you did get to catch up with him before he passed.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful to have gifted friends. He must have thought a lot about you and Dick to prepare such a fine meal.

12:42 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Once again I get to say, Lucky YOU!
I have had several friends who have lived in NYC and loved their time there. Perhaps if I had been younger... much, much younger... but I can't imagine not having my woods and bushes, the marsh and ocean a couple miles to the east, the Chesapeake Bay a couple miles to the west... and, this time of year, not another house in sight.
BUT, that said, I can see the magic of living in one of those buildings. Wow. And the fascinating life you led.
Thanks for sharing!

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home