Saturday, June 18, 2016

Meeting Dick …1958

        The last two blog entries have opened up a flood of memories so, if you will bear with me I will bring more of them to light … starting with how I met my husband, Dick. 
                 
About 6 months after I started working in New York City I was introduced to a new and invigorating group of New Yorkers. The talk was eclectic ... typically liberal and heavily concentrated on the Arts. As the evening went on a new man arrived and I found myself drawn to him.

Dick was a photographer who had just left a two year stint on “Life” magazine and was starting a free-lance business. He was attractive, in a rough boyish style and not very tall. His mother lived in the apartment one floor up and he had moved in with her while he launched his new career. Suddenly this thought came to my mind: “He’s too short for me, but this is the man that I’m going to marry !”

This was early in 1958 and it didn't take long for us to make my prediction come true. Dick and I tied the knot on August 23, 1958 and our marriage lasted 32 years until his death in 1990.





6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Such a great story. I have always been fascinated with how couples meet. You were fortunate to find him and have so many years together.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a happy photo.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Joni said...

This is one of the best wedding photos I have seen, you with your radiant beautiful smile. Dick looks relaxed and happy too. Since this is my first time commenting here, I'd like to congratulate you on your 26 years of sobriety, a true victory. I enjoy reading your blog. :)

1:23 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Great picture and as usual, a great picture into the past.
Truly a handsome couple!
Thanks for sharing, Ginnie!

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Dick had a good life together. Sad for you that it ended so soon. Beautiful photo!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A beautiful photo of a happy couple and thanks for sharing how you both met.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home