Thursday, June 23, 2016

Before marriage … 1958


As I wrote in my last entry Dick and I met early in 1958 and married in August of the same year. We'd pretty much made up our minds about this after just a few dates and the next step was to find a place to live. We settled on what we could afford which was a small railroad apartment on the West Side.

These were exciting months for us. I was still working at WABC and Dick was enlarging his contact list of clients and of course we were making plans for our upcoming marriage. I remember one day in particular. We 'd both agreed that it would be smart to have a routine physical just on the off chance that something was wrong and could be corrected before our wedding.

On this day we'd just left the Doctor's office and Dick was saying how it was a breeze and he was glad we'd been pro-active. He then asked me why I was so quiet … was anything wrong? I turned to him and in a serious voice I said, “I'm glad too but I can't help but wonder why the Dr. had to have his hands all over me for just a routine exam.”

WHAT ?” yelled Dick, and he spun around and started running back to the Dr's office. I raced after him ...shouting that I was joking ... but I couldn't catch him. He was still yelling and I had visions of his barging into the Dr's office and decking the poor man before he could get a word out

Luckily the office was on the third floor and the elevator wasn't available. It gave me just enough time to thank him for caring so much and to, once again, tell him that it was just my crazy sense of humor. At first he looked aghast and then he started to laugh. I was so relieved but little did I know that, for the rest of our lives, he'd remind me of this every time I complained about one of his pranks!

7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Your marriage must have been hilarious if you joked each other that way. Your husband was a good sport!

9:26 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Your sense of humor has gotten you thru a lot, hasn't it?
Good one, Ginnie!

4:04 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Oh, you imp!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Phew, saved by a busted elevator. Pretty sure he caught on to your humor in a hurry after that.

8:28 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Uh oh. What a story. Good your husband discovered early that you are such a kidder. I bet it made for an interesting time, being with you.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drs can be strange, so I believed you. I once saw a doctor here in WashingtonDC who insisted the best way to examine a breast was to turn off the lights and shine a flashlight through it. My friends laughed when I told them about ir. I was awfully naive in those days.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Joni said...

Funny story, you rascal! My husband and I were engaged 6 months after we met and married 6 months after that. My sister was even quicker than that. Both marriages have lasted over 30 years so far. :)

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home