Sunday, July 24, 2011

An amazing event caught in “the WEB”



Some of you faithful readers may remember the entries that I’ve made about my Grandfather, Harry Lee. He was the author of two books and a play about St. Francis. He lived with his wife Mary in Plainfield, New Jersey. (That’s Papa in the picture and copies of a booklet of poems that he wrote, illustrated and hand printed for his grandchildren.)

He died in the 50’s and my Grandma lived on in the house with her daughter Lillian until they were both put in a rest home late in the 60’s.

Now, fast forward to the present. I recently received an email from a man named Tom Mac who, while surfing the web, came across my blog entries about Harry Lee. As he said, he felt like he’d hit the Jackpot! In 1968 he and his family bought my grandparents house and lived there for quite a few years.

He was able to tell me all about the changes in the neighborhood and even recalled the brook beyond the back yard where I remember catching fire flies at night. When his 4th child was born in 1970 the small room off the upstairs bedroom, (where Papa wrote those books) was their nursery.

And now to the amazing part … One day, shortly after moving in, his 7 year old daughter asked, “Who is that person at the top of the stairs?” When noone was found they chalked it up to “kiddie imagination”. Then, while “noodling on the keys” of his piano Tom would often feel that someone was watching but he never caught sight of anyone. Their dog must have felt the same way because he would run to the stairs and start to bark as if someone were coming down or going up.

Tom says that he and his children, who witnessed it also, never felt threatened and even now they talk about it frequently. I find it fascinating and would love to know if it was a male or a female that his daughter saw.

My grandfather was a blithe spirit … a dreamer, a writer and a poet. I can well imagine that he‘d “stayed on“ after his death to see to the well being of his beloved Mary and how much he would have wanted to welcome the new family to his house. How frustrated he must have felt … not being able to make contact !

I feel like I’ve found a new friend in Tom … one with a connection to my past. He says he still misses the place and I can understand that. He also says that he has more stories to relate and I have a strong hunch that they’ll end up right here as blog entries !

11 Comments:

Blogger possum said...

Terrific post! So cool you meeting Tom. Great story! Lucky you!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Interesting to read about your grandfather and his wife living in Plainfield, NJ, which is also my hometown, Ginnie.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have goosebumps on reading that.

4:56 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

WOW! How cool is that!

I have often wanted to go and visit the last house that I lived in with my parents, but I've never had the courage to ask. I should have called the agent when I saw it was for sale about 10 years ago.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I like the supernatural. And I think that spirits do linger.
Are you related to the Lee family of Virginia? "Lighthorse" Harry Lee was Robert E. Lee's father. Just curious.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a fascinating tale. Are you tempted to go and revisit the old house as it is today?

5:53 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Hi Syd: As far as I know there in no connection to the Virginia Lees. I think I read somewhere that Lee is one of the most prevalent last names in the world!

Philip: The whole area has changed so much that it would make me sad to go in that house now.

6:35 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a great post. Isn't the Internet wonderful?

7:28 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Children have the eyes to see, what jaded adults cannot. How neat. Dianne

11:07 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

How interesting Ginnie. I've often thought of past houses that I've lived in and wondered what they were like now. I hope to hear more about this meeting! Love Di ♥

1:55 AM  
Blogger Hughes ap Williams said...

A few years ago I was visiting Clark (not far from Plainfield) and stopped at the house where I lived until I was 11-years-old.

The current residents were outside and saw me photographing the neighborhood. We chatted for a few minutes and they invited me in.

There were a lot of changes, but it was still home. [We moved across town when I was eleven, but Alice Lane is always "home".]

I found myself getting teary-eyed and would like to thank them again for allowing a stranger into their home.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home