Thursday, November 19, 2009

CENTRAL PARK, NEW YORK … 1958



Dick and I were married in Manhattan, NY on August 23rd, 1958. This picture was taken shortly thereafter in Central Park. We didn’t have the time nor money for a Honeymoon but the city of New York was our playground.

We loved Central Park. We would sit for hours overlooking the lake, reading, talking about the future and just plain people-watching. If we waited long enough the entire world would pass before us.



Planned concerts were staged weekly and we would enjoy big name bands and personalities for free ! I remember seeing Peter, Paul & Mary, The Mills Brothers and Johnny Mathis, to name just a few. And then there were all the musicians who just practiced for fun. We would often join in when they teamed up for an impromptu songfest.

The Children’s Zoo was one of our favorite spots at Central Park and we would meet there often after our work was over for the day. Watching the children at the Zoo was almost as much fun as watching the animals.



Our favorite animal thing was watching the Penguins and the Sea Lions being fed. They put on a production that was as good as a Broadway show.

I have so many fond memories of that time in my life and to think that most of it didn‘t cost a dime. I honestly can’t remember that we paid for anything except for food. It seems like a dream to me now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

It sounded like a very happy time for you Ginnie. I was four months old then!
It seemed like a wonderful honeymoon despite the lack of funds!
Love Di

3:48 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You guys look very happy in the picture. The early days of marriage are special -- at least if we're lucky.

4:51 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I was just graduating from high school! I envy you that time in NYC; I always wanted to live there. Love that pic of you!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I always enjoyed Central Park and wish I had more time to explore it.
My visits there usually were during some protest demonstration which took away some of the romance.

New York would be a disaster without the park.

3:29 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--Central Park is still a favorite spot for young lovers.
My daughter and her then boyfriend went on a Central Park picnic a couple of years ago.
And there he proposed to her--it was not a surprise, except she didn't know where or when he would give her an engagement ring. Right afterward, he called me up to make sure it was "OK"--sweet guy. And, of course, now they are married. Soon they will return to NYC and once again enjoy Central Park.

7:38 PM  
Blogger possum said...

1958... look how happy you all look!
I was in high school in Maine in 58 with no idea in the world that I would be in the Middle East a year later... Funny how life does those things to us.
I guess if I lived in NYC I would have to spend as much time in the Park as I could... I cannot imagine being confined to a city.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home