Thursday, March 22, 2007

“DOG DAYS OF SUMMER” , 2004 & 2006



In 2004 the Village of Pinehurst, NC went to the dogs for the first time. This was when the Business Guild presented the works of more than 50 local artisans, myself included, to raise money for a variety of non-profit organizations in our community.

I have a small business called “Snowflakes…Custom Designs” and I specialize in painting “tired” furniture to match a customer’s own personal taste and décor. Thus it was a “natural” for me to be asked to contribute my time to this event and I agreed.

We were given our choice of a standing or sitting “naked” fiber-glass Labrador retriever and asked to bring the statue to life. My sponsor for the event was Dugan’s Pub, a popular café in the heart of Pinehurst. The owner had a favorite poster displaying many different doors and facades of Irish Pubs and we decided to use that as our theme.

The final outcome was a Black Lab, named “Pub Pup”, wearing a coat covered with pictures of famous Irish establishments. He was also impervious to weather thanks to a local auto dealership that donated the time and labor to give all the “critters” an auto-body, clear coat finish.

The event was a smashing success and was repeated in 2006. This time we had a choice of a cat or a Basset Hound. You can see, by the picture, that I chose the dog. I decided to have his coat simulate alabaster and called him “Al A. Baster”. Once again the auto dealer provided the final coat and this gave “Al” the high shine that made it seem even more convincing that he’d been carved from alabaster.

Both years the dogs (and cats, too, in 2006) were on display in Pinehurst from June to September. They attracted thousands of visitors and it was a boon for the merchants who had sponsored the event.

The Grand Finale was in September when a public auction was held and the dogs were sold to the highest bidder. I think that even the organizers were amazed at the success of the event and I was glad that I was a small part of it.

9 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

This is a hoot--and a new one for me. I have not seen dogs or cats used for a community fund raiser.
We have had cows on parade in Harrisburg, and a Kite Fest, but no dogs or cats.

3:48 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Raleigh had wolves several years ago, and they were very successful. I wish I had known about the dogs in Pinehurst, as I would have tried to go see them. Dugan's Pub is a favorite of mine, too. My ex-neighbor, who moved to Pinehurst 3 years ago, and I used to go there for lunch. And when she died last year, my current neighbor and I went to her funeral and then to Dugan's, for our "final lunch" with Peggy. Maybe you and I can go there together sometime.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

The same thing was done here in VT with elephants. They were beautiful and the auction was a great success.

Your dogs are terrific...and Al A. Baster brought a smile.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work Ginnie. I especially like the "poster" jacket on the lab in keeping with the theme. Quite Clever.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My eyes are getting worse. I thought the black dog was a real one. :-)

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen cows in Paris and Geneva, lions in Münich, but never dogs!
Interesting idea. Don't know how well it would work in Paris though! Due to the amount of dog poop on the streets ;)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

That is possibly one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time to help raise money for charity. The statues are just wonderful :)

5:05 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

There were cows all over Calgary the summer that we were there. I think Toronto did moose(es?) for a few years.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand why you'd be happy to partake of such an event. I can't get over your talent! Those dogs are outstanding. I definitely would have bid on them.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home