Monday, September 11, 2006

BAVAGNA, ITALY….Sept. 11th, 2001


It was in this lovely piazza in the small town of Bavagna, Italy that I heard of the horrendous events of 9/11. My traveling companion, Douglas, and I watched with disbelief as the second plane hit the Twin Towers. We were unable to reach any of our family members in the States and I have never had such a feeling of total uselessness and loss.

Now it is 5 years later and I still have that helpless feeling. My heart is heavy and I can’t imagine how it must be for the victims and their families. I also mourn the loss of my good friend, Douglas, who passed away in April of 2005. He will forever be part of my memories of 9/11.

My words are inadequate…but I pay tribute to them all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Ginny,

I hope it's ok here to mix deep feelings of grief with some business. The words you use to describe your experience, your disbelief really in Italy are so moving and so personal. I've heard so many platitudes today that end up almost lessening the depth of nonsensical hatred by using "Ad Speak".

I'm also writing to give you a location for the conference. It is in Hyannis. Here are the details: http://www.justbeconnected.com/ I would jump at the chance to meet you in person. The reason I made dancing ladies is because we will open and close the conference with a circle dance.

3:09 PM  
Blogger goldenlucyd said...

I totally agree with SAZ. Real memories from real people--not choreographed and edited for "Memorials". Your recollections were meaningful and as usual beautifully expressed.

5:01 PM  
Blogger goldenlucyd said...

PS Ginnie,
I loved your Big Ed's Fudge post. I made an order--for MYSELF. When it comes to fudge it's every woman for herself.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ginnie, been a while since i last visited. this time i stayed and kept reading, drawn in by your writing and feeling a connection to your early nyc experiences. i came after college in 1955.

so much resonance with your description of jobs in advertising, dating--a disappeared concept, i gather. your pictures are delightful. did you see "most happy fella"? i stood through that one, very long, loved it.

am in awe that you only recently began to blog: you seem to move so naturally in this space. and bravely too with the powerful words on the meaning for you of AA.

yours, naomi

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very nice tribute, Ginnie.
I'm sure it was even more frightening being in Italy and not here on your home soil when 911 occurred.
And my condolences to you on the loss of Douglas.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home