Thursday, September 21, 2006

1961.….We become a FAMILY of FIVE


My husband and I wasted no time in building our little “empire”. By the end of 1981 we were a family of 5...the two of us, two boys and a little girl born on Oct. 3rd. We were still in New York but in a much larger apartment on the West side near 94th St.

All three pregnancies were completely different. Number one was Mark, right on the figured date & with 12 hours of labor...a pretty normal birth. Number two was Matthew and he decided to make his appearance early. I complained of a stomach ache 3 weeks prior to his due date and when we called the Dr. he advised me to get to the hospital immediately.

This turned into a real fiasco. By the time we hailed a cab I was almost bent over with the pain of contractions and knew that the baby could be born any minute. That was one unhappy cab driver. He kept shouting, “I dunno know nuttin’ about birthin’ no babies” as he sped his way across town. As soon as we screeched to a stop I was put in a wheel chair and whipped up to the operating room. No time to get prepped, no medication...just one last push and out popped Matt.

Our little girl’s birth was a very different story. She gave me no cause for alarm for the first 7 months, but, at about 32 weeks I started to bleed and was put in the hospital for observation. The 2nd day I was there I felt a warm gush and I thought my water had broken. When the nurse checked me she gave a gasp and ran for the doctor on call.

I was having a placenta previa birth. That is where the placenta is “born” before the baby and leaves the unborn baby with nothing to feed on. In 1961 it was almost always fatal unless you were in the hospital.

Everything happened so fast then that it becomes a blur in my mind, but I do remember my husband saying “keep your chin up” and then promptly passing out. For a minute the crew didn’t know if they should take care of Dick or me...but they left him there on the floor and proceeded to rush me to the operating room where they performed a caesarian and our little Jody was born. She weighed less than 5 lbs. and had to stay in the hospital for 10 days, but she and I were lucky to be alive and it made our family unit even stronger.

9 Comments:

Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Ginnie, it sounds like you have a really wonderful family. I can only imagine how frightened you were during your daughter's birth. I can't think of anything worse for a mother to go through than to worry that her baby will be okay. Three beautiful children...you ARE blessed. I think of my pregnancies and remember how special each one was in their own way....just like the children that came from them. Thanks for sharing this with us. Take care...

8:21 AM  
Blogger goldenlucyd said...

I've been lying low with my bum shoulder. "No computer!" ordered Dr. Bob. Getting back to my pals is such a treat and you, dear Ginnie are so wonderful. Don't EVER ERER stop writing. I relished catching up with each of your posts---what a treasure you're creating for your loved ones---and what a pleasure for the rest of us.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you imagine my mother telling this story? She had 9? I can't.

I'm glad you were in the hospital and your daughter made it into this world.

Both mine were cesareans. By the time I had them, they were doing so many of those. Still are.

4:46 PM  
Blogger millie garfield said...

Wow!! You painted a very clear picture of what you and your HUSBAND went through.

Each birth has it's own story, each baby is special. How wonderful to have such a great family.

My son was a preme (seven months) and was in the hospital for two months. He's a healthy handsome six footer today.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Truth said...

Thanks for sharing your birth stories. Isn't it funny how it doesn't matter what age we are, we will remember the smallest details about such amazing events as the birth of our children.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

I think that if a woman had a dozen babies, she would have a dozen very distinct stories of their births.

Black Belt Mama is doing a blog that is just birth stories -- she is at
http://www.blackbeltmama.typepad.com/
and then there is a link to tell your birth story.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Our first took days to get here. Stubborn little blighter.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Rach said...

Another great memory Ginnie, thanks for sharing. Glad everyone was OK. Wish I'd seen the taxi driver's face!
Rachel
www.firstmemories.blogspot.com

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...you certainly did believe in mixing things up a bit with your pregnancies...lol All so different! My daughter-in-law delivered placenta previa and you're right, back in '61 you were darn lucky to be in the hospital and to have done so well.
Amazing how far we've come with medicine in just over 40 years.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home