Sunday, February 17, 2019

A CENTRAL PARK HONEYMOON … 1958


I've been working on a project lately that concentrates on the years 1943 to 1958 and it's really brought back a slew of memories. Not least among them is when Dick and I married on August 23,1958 in New York City. We didn't have the time nor money for a traditional honeymoon but living in Manhattan was just as good. Here we are in one of our favorite places … Central Park. 

We loved it there and would sit for hours overlooking the lake, reading, talking about the future and just plain people watching. If we waited long enough the entire world would pass before us. Concerts were staged weekly and I remember that it was there that we saw Peter, Paul & Mary, The Mills Brothers and Johnny Mathis to name just a few.

The Children's Zoo was one of our favorite spots in Central Park and we would meet there often after our work was over for the day. Watching the children at the Zoo was almost as much fun as watching the animals.

I have so many fond memories of that time in my life. Just imagine … we had an ongoing honeymoon in Central Park and most of it didn't cost a dime.














8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Holidays are special but they go by quickly. When you can build special places and times into your life like that, it is very special.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

You can't get much better than that for a honeymoon. Good music and great scenery.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.

I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more
of your useful information. Thanks for the post.

I'll certainly comeback.

11:58 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a progressive and wonderful idea Central Park was. It is a wonderful place to view all sorts of people from all over. Great place for a honeymoon.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I’ve only been to the park once, but loved it. It is an oasis in the midst of the vibrant city. You were fortunate to have that time in your life, Ginnie.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

From my friend Possum...
I am so totally not a city girl! I can't imagine life without trees and grass, flowers, water...
But you found your own special spot in spite of being surrounded by all the brick and concrete, steel and glass, and gazillions of people! YIKES!
In my few visits to THE CITY, I never got to Central Park, so I never think about it, but how lucky you were to have it!
Besides, honeymoons in faraway places are so over-rated! You had each other- and Central Park! Perfect!

Nice post - and a good reminder to be happy where you are!
Thanks, Ginnie!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Who needs to have traveed anywhere when you had so much to see and enjoy so closeby in NYC. Central Park offered a lot of diversions and still does.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like reading a post that can make
men and women think. Also, thanks for allowing for
me to comment!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home