Monday, October 22, 2018

Fire and Ice ...


FIRE and ICE” …by Robert Frost, (1874 - 1963)

"Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire,
But, if I had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice is also great and would suffice.”


I’ve always been moved by this poem and doesn’t it seem to be particularly evocative today? Trump's  greed and  lust for power and exclusivity is exactly what I feel when I read these lines. It's telling me that our beloved country is being destroyed at the base and we’d better wake up !  We need to get back to our basics … when we lived world-wide with one another, sharing our lives and our resources, opening our minds to new ideas and possibilities instead of building walls to keep ourselves frozen in place.  


Power, isolation, … fire or ice ?   It matters little...they all suffice.







6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Such a powerful poem! I always loved it too.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

He gets more despicable on a daily basis, yet his cult remains strong.

3:02 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

He is determined to sell our children's future for a few bucks profit.

7:33 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I have tried very hard to understand how otherwise reasonable people continue to support Trump. I know some of them didn't vote because they wanted Bernie and thought he couldn't win. Some of them voted for Trump because they hated Hillary so much. But how they can overlook his total lack of respect for the office, his lies, his venom? I just do not understand it. No one in history could have gotten away with what he has done. And generations of Americans will continue to pay the price.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Very eloquent and so true!

2:21 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I reread this again this morning after watching so many reports about the bombs being sent... and thinking how one false move could be the end of the world for someone...
Will the world end in fire, ice, or hate?
And I wonder how anyone can stand behind a president who promotes so much hate?
If you support him, what does that say for your soul?
These are sorry times, Ginnie.
Our country has lost so much respect all around the world. We have gone from recently being a laughing stock of the world to folks looking at us with sorrow. As a dear friend abroad said recently, watching the decline of the United States is like watching an old friend dying of cancer.
If we don't find a cure soon, it will be too late.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home