Sunday, September 21, 2014

Last weekend's vacation …continued.

Our destination was just up the road from Carl Sandburg’s home … the quaint and lovely town of Hendersonville, NC, where our friends Jim and Caryl live. They are newlyweds and it was wonderful to see them again.

On Saturday they were our tour guides and we spent the day in Ashville at the River Arts District. More than 170 artists have working studios there in old industrial warehouses that were once thriving but had been unused for years.

 
 
They have really turned that area into a thriving community but it wasn’t all artwork as you can see by this next picture. When my traveling companion, Olive, heard the lively music being played by this impromptu group she broke into a lively Irish Jig. The woman with her back to us is one of the artists who dropped her paintbrush to join in !
 


It was a fun day and we topped it off with a ride to the top of Mt. Pisgah and dinner at the famous inn and hotel located there.

 
 
The spectacular view that we’d heard about was completely obscured by fog and all we could see was the reflection of the lights from the ceiling of the Inn, but we didn’t care. The good food and even better companionship made it a memorable evening.

I do have to admit that the ride home down the Blue Ridge Parkway was pretty scary at night in the fog but it didn’t faze our hosts a bit and, as you can tell by reading this, we made it !


10 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

What a fun weekend. I need one like that and Asheville is the best place for it. I love their artsy district and looking at antiques too.

4:19 PM  
Blogger lucylocket said...

The Blue Parkway is so scary to me that I asked my husband to avoid it in the future. Asheville is one of my favorite cities. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

7:11 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Glad you had fun in my neck of the woods. Sorry about the fog. We especially love breakfast at the Pisgah Inn.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, we lived in Asheville. Later, I went to camp near Asheville. Still later, my parents moved to Hendersonville. A beautiful place.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I have been through that area and it is beautiful. Sorry the view was obscured but with good company and food, a plus day.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have also driven the Blue Ridge Parkway but during daylight and no fog. Glad the ride went well to cap off a fun time. Bet the Irish jig was fun to see.

4:15 AM  
Blogger possum said...

If it weren't for my friends traveling, I would not ever get to see anything new!
Thanks for sharing your trip.
So glad you got to go and glad you had a good traveling companion!

7:53 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Carolyn has mentioned that Inn on her on her blog and now that you've also highlighted its going on my bucket list. :)

4:41 PM  
Blogger sunnys said...

Great post! My husband and I spend summers in Brevard which is right next to Hendersonville. Love it there! :-)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Asheville is one of my favorite towns. Lots of art and wonderfully unique people who are enlightened. Glad that you had a great time.

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home