Saturday, August 16, 2008

MY THREE ANGELS … 1965


This is a pretty grainy blow-up of an old Polaroid picture of my three children. I know the quality is poor but I have very few pictures of them all together, so I treasure it. I have it framed and sitting on my desk where I see it every day.

The thing that amazes me is that, although 43 years have passed, they still retain the same basic personality traits that they had from the day they were born. All three births were entirely different also.

Mark, my oldest boy, was a typical first-baby birth. I probably went to the hospital too early but was admitted and 24 hours later he was born. He was an exceptionally docile baby and we were entirely spoiled by the time that number two came along. “This baby rearing thing is a cinch”, my husband told me.

Today, at age 49, Mark is an architect, a voracious reader, a quiet and serious person with a quirky sense of humor.

A year and 15 days after Mark’s birth our middle child, Matthew, was born. I was experiencing a heavy, pushing feeling and, upon checking with the Dr., was told to get to the hospital ASAP. Since we lived in NY City we had no car and the cab driver was less than happy when he realized that this baby might come at any moment, and in his cab, no less.

We barely made it and Matt was born the minute I hit the maternity floor. He came out screaming and the only time he stopped for the next 4 months was when he was eating. As he grew the crying stopped but he had (and has) an insatiable curiosity and would stay awake hours beyond his bedtime, talking to himself and climbing out of his crib and then his bed.

Today, at age 48, Matt has his own remodeling business, hosts a 4 person rock band in his music garage (including Mark on drums), loves tending to his two acres of lawn, fruit trees and flowers and is the family kidder.

In October of 1961 our little girl, Jody, was born. I was having many problems with this pregnancy and about a month before she was due I was admitted to the hospital to be observed. I was lucky to be there because I experienced a placenta-previa birth and the Dr. had to perform an emergency caesarean operation.

Jody was very frail and had to remain in the hospital after I was released. It broke our heart to see her hooked up to so many lines and looking so small in the big hospital crib. However she thrived and is now co-owner with her husband of an Antique Shop in New York. She doesn’t let an opportunity go unexplored and the boys have nicknamed her “the force“.

It’s interesting to me that they all retain the basic qualities that they were born with. Have you found that to be true with your children?

8 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--this is a very sweet tribute to your children, and their childhood personalities that grew into their adult personalities.
I think generally I would concur. My son, first child, was also easy going; my daughter more difficult. They both grew into delightful adults who are a joy to be around, whenever we get the chance.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Hi Ginnie,
This is a wonderful post. My mom said the same thing about the six of us. It's a sign of your attentive mothering that you are able to perceive the continuity of personality.

I've enjoyed the English documentary called "7 Up," then "14 up" then "21 Up." It is based on the line in the Old Testament that says "Show me the child of 7, and I will show you the man."

7:48 AM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

Ginnie

Cesarean operation? Normal births? Short labor? All I have gone through and I am sharing your wonderful story with delight.

Begin with "The Lady Who Lives Down The Staircase" through till "The Young Lady Who ..." are my description of them all...

You have brought them up so well. It's so wonderful to read about child births, growing up, adult lives and working circles.

Thanks for sharing.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Thanks for the story about your children. I am an only child with no children of my own so I can't comment. I think that I have retained my basic personality though, although alcoholism altered it along the way in some areas. But I've always been an optimist and remain one to this day.

8:21 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Hmmmm....I need to give that some thought. My oldest kid (son) cried for 9 mos. with colic, but now he is quiet, docile and very sweet to his mom. The girls are pretty much like they were at birth, though.

8:39 PM  
Blogger azahar said...

Children are always delightful to have, especially when they were toddlers. I never compare them, they are unique in their own way.

I have five, two girls and three boys. My eldest is a darling daughter. She is already in her final year, doing law. I cannot believe myself that she has all grown up. Still remember how she was as a baby (still is to me now), an elementary school student...She is so independent since small...she ironed her own shirt when she was barely six!

The second is my tall, fair and handsome boy. He was born less than a year after his sister. He was sickly since born and because of that he was raised by his granma till he was seven. He could only walk when he was 18 months! He was not that good academically, but surprising everybody, it seems so easy for him to get jobs and he is very good with people, especially the girls!

The third was a son. He passed away when he was five - due to leukemia. He was so full of life and zest when he was still alive. So smart and intelligent he was that he is still with us eventhough it has been 18 years since his passing. Imagine, a five-year-old boy asking me to write down his story so that others would understand what life with leukemia was all about. You could read his story in my blog, sirdirahaza@blgspot.com

The next one is a boy. He was born in the same hospital that his elder brother was warded. My wife accompanied my late son for four months, from five months pregnancy right until his younger brother was born! He was just like his twin brother, so similar in facial features and behaviour except that he is a big darker. Now he is in his first year QS. He is a good rugby player.

My youngest is also a girl. She was made and born in Athens, Georgia, US. She is always proud of being born in US. Now she is twelve and is busy preparing for her spercial exam. She plays netball, handball, runs 100 and 200 metres. She is so tall that many think that she is already in high school. She is taller than her mother. With the rest all busy in college or working, she is everything to us, both a jewel and a thorn.

All in all we love our children...

11:24 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

You raised three children you have done you proud.

I used to think "nurture" was more important than "nature" except my son is more like his mother than myself in spite of me being the one raise him.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I enjoyed this, the picture and the update, all of it! Nice post!

Yeah, I would say for sure that all of my five boys have kept the basic personality they came with...!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home