Tuesday, February 09, 2016

“Matinee with Bob & Ray”

When I heard last week that Bob Elliott had died (age 92) I knew that I wanted to blog about him but I wondered if there were any of you out there who would remember him. So I was pleased to see that my blogger friend Joared of “Along the Way” noted his passing too.
 
Bob was half of a radio comedy team and they were catching on like wildfire in 1949, the year that I was a Junior in Wellesley High School in Massachusetts. Their wacky radio show, “Matinee with Bob & Ray” aired on WHDH, Boston, and I couldn’t wait for the daily 15 minute segments to begin. Their format was typically to satirize radio and TV (which was just emerging) with off-the-wall dialogue, usually presented in a deadpan style.
Bob was usually the interviewer and Ray would take on different accents and voice tones. He had a wonderfully flat tone that he used for all his female characters, especially Mary McGoon, a home economics advisor who shared her bizarre recipes with the audience. Another spoof was their game show entitled, “The 64 Cent Question” and my favorite segment was the cowboy singer who did rope tricks on the radio!
 
In 1949 they decided to promote their show. When they hired the Ad Agency that my Dad worked for I was lucky enough to accompany him to a live broadcast. It was my first time to watch the inner workings of a radio show and it was fascinating to see the technical end of the business...especially the sound effects.

Both Bob and Ray (Goulding) are gone now but they still make me smile whenever I think of them.








10 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

They made me smile and I had never heard of them. The rope tricks on the radio...hilarious. Enjoy the rest of the week.

5:31 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Me too. I loved that kind of humor...:)

7:27 AM  
OpenID schmidleysscribblins.com said...

I don't remeber him. I was 7 in 1949, which probably explains why. I do remeber Amos and Andy, Jack Benny and several cowboy shows.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I don't know how I missed hearing them but I was aware of them as a team. Think I will Google them and see if I can't find a podcast.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I have never heard if this duo, I was reminded of the annihncers I used to listen to when growing up. They were on either WNEW or WOR in New York city.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

I nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award. Come collect it here:
http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2016/02/beautiful-blogger-award.html

2:27 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Funny, I thought they were part of BZ Boston... I remember them from when I was a kid before I left the States. I see where copies of their programs can be purchased in audio CD form from amazon. Methinks I just might get a set!
The beauty of Bob and Ray is that they were seriously funny and they did not have to use bad words or resort to filthy terms to be funny. How refreshing.

5:04 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I never heard them but I used to listen to Red Ryder and Lil Beaver on the radio every afternoon.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Ginnie, you wrote on my blog: "Thanks Bonnie. I hope I can come up with the list requirements. As I grow older I cut back on daily doings!"

Here's my reply:
"Ginnie, simply write seven sentences, with photos being optional. You don't have to go on and on the way I did. You could say: "(1) I live in North Carolina, (2) My son and I went to Italy, (3) I have a granddaughter who..., (4) I worked in New York, (5) I once met..., (6) I have three children, (7) My favorite color is..." I've learned a lot about you reading your blog, as you can see, and that's why I nominated you as "a beautiful blogger." These sentences could be the starting points of later blog posts, especially those that get lots of comments from your friends or ones that send you off into the land of great memories. I, too, have cut back on daily doings; now that I'm almost 76 years old, one thing a day seems enough on my calendar."

12:32 PM  
Blogger joared said...

Enjoyed reading your recollections of Bob and Ray -- so much more detailed than I was able to recall. That would have been fun to visit a radio show and see sound effects being created. I didn't get to listen to them regularly, but I did like what seemed like their weird sense of humor. Their sign off always stuck with me -- "Write if you get work" and "Hang by your thumbs!"

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home