Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Foul fowl … enough to make me a Vegan !



Where I live, in North Carolina, this is a common sight and it never fails to turn my stomach ! In case you can’t make it out (I was in slow traffic when I snapped this and it’s not too clear) it is a full truck-load of filthy dirty cages that are packed to the gills with live chickens.

Chickens are transported to the slaughterhouse in crates stacked on the back of trucks, like this one, and they aren’t protected at all from weather conditions. You can actually see them gasping for air in the oppressive summer heat. Just the smell alone, as you pass one of these huge trucks in traffic, is enough to make me gag. Many of the chickens die before they reach their destination and perhaps that is a blessing.

As I understand it, when the truck arrives at the slaughterhouse the crates are picked up by a crane and the chickens are dumped on to a conveyor belt. Then they are “stunned” and hung up before being processed.

If it weren’t for free-range chickens I would never eat poultry again. Just compare this picture with the first one …



Look how happy they are ! Although these chickens are destined to grace our tables at least they are content beforehand and allowed to run free. But I must remember that “free range” does not guarantee quality. It’s best to know your supplier and to make sure that it’s organic as well.

Bon appetit

8 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

We are so removed from our food sources, and do not realize what agri-business has done to farm animals. Chickens cooped in crowded spaces, pigs crammed together, calves caged.
It really is awful.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

One of the reasons that I don't eat meat--I saw too many of those trucks filled with chickens, pigs, cattle. I no longer eat any meat, except for fish and shellfish. When I see one of these trucks, I am horrified at the fate of these living creatures.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Yes it is disgusting isn't it? Unfortunately it's all that my family can afford. I'd love to be able to buy organic this and free range that, but if I did, I'd loose my house!
So it's mac and cheese and frozen chicken for us. Love Di ♥

5:20 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I completely get what you're saying. It's very unnerving and depressing. A part of me wants to go vegetarian, but it seems so hard to transition right now.

5:42 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I used to love chicken, but after seeing this, I'm not so sure.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, trucks like the one shown in your post are commonly seen on the VA eastern shore too. There's Perdue and Tyson processing plants nearby. Whenever we get behind one of these trucks, we make sure to pass them ASAP for all the reasons you described.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

In Europe they are way ahead of us on the human treatment of farm animals. Free range chicken are now the required way to raise bird there.
Likewise some countries raise pigs, free range.

Killing of animals for human food should be done with a sense of reverence for the animal. Native spirituality requires this a sacred tobacco is burned in tribute to the animal which is see as a relative who has given up its life so man my survive.

5:08 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Yeah, here on the Eastern Shore, if you are out on the highway, you will see a chicken truck. They break my heart. When my sister visited, she was puzzled with all the white stuff blowing in front of us on the highway. She said, "It can't be snowing! It is way too warm!" I told her those were feathers, and sure 'nuff, we soon passed a Perdue truck.
But if you think a truck smells bad, you should drive past a processing plant on a warmish day with your windows down! YUCK!
Now you know why I am primarily a vegetarian.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home